1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cant connect to net

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rol87, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    I have tryed to connect to the net with my other pc and no luck but I have hooked it at another house and it works i have called the provider and they said that i might have a virus have spybot AVG. I have used them and the computer is fine no virus. the net provider told me to go to the command screen and enter ping and they said that every thing was working fine.what could it be?

2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    is the router at the blocking your computer from "talking" to the net? and how is the network set up? through a router, daisy chained through comps, etc?

3. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    when i used it at the other house there was a router but right now it is connected directly

4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, you may have to play with router settings. one, what kind of internet, some high speed internet you have a password and user name, and you need to enter that into the router in order for it to access the web. also with the router, have you made sure you have the right cables, ex for my router i have a crossover running into a internet port, and all other cables are straight cables. those are the first things that i can think of.

5. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    i dont have a router right now i have 2 pcs but when i hook up the other one it wont work i go to network conncections and it says its working fine

6. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah 2 pcs one is connected to the modem, one is connected to the other pc? make sure they are in the same workgroup. and then you have to bridge the connections, that's easy, all you have to do is select the network connections on the comp that is connected to the internet and the other comp and then hit bridge connections (something like that, it must be right click, if not microsoft help is quick)

7. PrudentPrincess

PrudentPrincess New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try unplugging the power cable, waiting 30 seconds, then plugging it back in?
    Jk, that's the BS I get from Qwest when I'm on hold.:laugh:

8. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you have a static IP?

Do you remember having to put in the IP address, default gateway & DNS when you first got it?

9. Ehstii New Member

Thanks Received:
    is it DSL or Cable?

10. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Can you ping the IP address of your other computer or "see" it on the network?

11. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    only one computer is connected to the net i dont have a router the computer that does not connect to the net here at my house works on my motherinlaws house

12. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the first thing you should do is to call you ISP and ask them if you have a "static IP"

Typically basic internet service is not a static IP.... but I have had an ISP give out static IP's.

13. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    I has a static ip because on the other house there was a router