1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant copy files off HDD?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Pinchy, May 24, 2008.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last night, my brothers inspiron 1720 crashed as he was doing some CAD work. He went to reboot into windows and it wouldnt work.

After multiple failed repair attempts/recoveries/system restores, we decided to take the hard drive out and plug it into my computer.

Now we NEED to get these files off this drive, as there is literally years of work on it.

What happens when its in my computer:
    The computer starts up and installs the hard drive, no problems there. The hard drive is also accessible and we can go through all files/folders in windows explorer. There is no delay or lag or anything, it goes through the drive without a problem. Also, a diskcheck came back with 0 errors.

Now what the problem is:
    We go to copy any file over, say 50mb, and it just freezes. The transfer just stops, if we touch the computer it goes into non-responding mode and the only way to get out is a hard reboot. Yet we tried a 40mb file and it copied fine. It seems to just stop copying after like 5 seconds no matter what the size of the file.

All we need off this 160GB drive is 2GB worth of data, yet some files are like 200mb.

PLEASE HELP!

Thx in adv!
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since the hard drive still works, and it only appears to have problems with files over a certain size (addressing problems perhaps on the bus), get a program that will slice the files into smaller chucks and then transfer them individually and re-build them on the target computer.
    Pinchy says thanks.
  3. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay the hard drive had like an epiphany and decided to start copying *some* files. So we have got most of the files we actually need, but some of them that we want wont copy. The error that comes up for these certain files is either an I/O error (hard drive?) or a "this file is corrupt".

Now if I can't get these files, not all is lost (although it will be very helpful), but I would like to know if this hard drive is stuffed or not. Reason of course is, after we format it we don't want to put files on a stuffed up HDD.
  4. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    When your booted into windows, right click on the drive im my computer, go to properties. Then select the "tools" tab, and do "Check now" under error checking. Then select both check boxes and run it. It will probably take about an hour so just let it do its thing. It will scan the hard drive and repair corrupted files and sections and bad sectors. This should help you in getting the "other" files you have left.
  5. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    not to sound mean or anything, but for important work you NEED to keep regular backups of the data. you should be able to install another OS, then use a file recovery software of some sort.
  6. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    I recommend Acronis True Image. I love it
  7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:
    do what he said then ghost it after it repairs the bad sectors!:toast:
  8. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol its not me, its my brother :p

Also, I ran chkdsk before windows actually loaded and it came up with no errors.
  9. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    try it again inside the windows environment with both boxes checked. Then as soon as its done, copy your files.