1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't Decide 22'' CRT Or 17" TFT Monitor.. Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mercillus, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Mercillus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just built myself a new pc... well building...

Can't decide between getting a 17" TFT Screen monitor or a 22" CRT Monitor.. its going to be used mainly for gaming so quality is a must.. just wondering what you guys would advice.. Please help thanks.
  2. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather have the 17inch TFT if it has good features.

It highly depends on the specs of both monitors.
  3. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol you're kind of comparing a Corvette to a Cavalier here. I would go with the CRT unless you go to LAN parties a lot. What are the specs on each, do you have links?
  4. Mercillus New Member

Thanks Received:
    PHILIPS 201B4 21" CRT MONITOR

thats the CRT monitor that im interested in

the other is just a 17" tft that u can pick up for 60-100pounds via ebay if ure lucky :) ive seen a few come and go and could easily pick one up. They had a sony black 17" tft on there the other day for 75 (85) including postage but i can pick up the philips for 65 pounds including postage..

ive just gotta decide on a graphics card after this.. had some help from the other forum singling out the x800 GTO16 and the 6800GS.. would ideally like to spend less than 100pounds and more like 60.. but i dont wanna take a massive drop in games performance.
  5. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    In that case the CRT would be better most likely.

Low quality LCD screens are hideous. Either spend your money wisely on an LCD, study about the refresh rates, contrast ratios, brightness, etc, or just buy a CRT, cause it would have better picture.

On low quality LCD screens, you can't even tell tan from white. Everytime you move the mouse it disappears because the refresh rate is so low and it blurs so bad.

Do some serious research on LCD's before buying, or you will be stuck with horrible image quality.

CRT's are an older technology, they have pretty much perfected it. Big and inefficient, but has awesome quality for the price.

I'd prefer a high end LCD anyday though.
  6. Mercillus New Member

Thanks Received:
    i guess its the philips crt then :) i can't yet afford a high end TfT :D
  7. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    yep. crt would be your best priority...... Its gonna be a heavy one.:ohwell:
  8. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm running 2 x 21" refurbed monitors. I paid 50$ each. They are quite good quality. If you buy used monitors, I'd suggest Trinitron tubes or a NEC. Some Apple monitors are extremely good, with Trinitron tube and decent high resolution and colors. My HP A4576A is less than 5 years old (about 2001) and can do 1600x1200 at a good refresh rate, and crisp image. It's a Sony tube, paid 35$ ;)

It does take a lot of space on my desk thoe.
  9. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have just given a pair of 19 ich crts away.. just toooo big compared to an lcd..

a 21 ich crt would be huge.. they are so cheap cos nobody wants them..

17 inch tfts are quite good for gaming.. the technology used has a fast responce time but poorer viewing angles and contrast than the more expensive ones.. the contrast is good enough thow..

people that knock em tend to be people that dont have them.. i used to do the same.. but now i have moved to lcd monitors no way would i go back to the crt montrosities.. he he he

trog
  10. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have two setups:

My custom rig w/ CRT monitor

My HP family rig w/ 17inch brand spanking new LCD(athlon 64 system with 1gb ram too)

I prefer my CRT still. I've used plenty of low quality LCD's to know that I would prefer a half ass CRT vs a cheap LCD. My CRT isn't pretty sittin on my desk, but when I look at the response and see awesome clarity and picture, I find it worthwhile.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001067

This is the one I will upgrade to.
  11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont knock crt for picture quality.. it has it.. but with side by side comparisons no two things are exactly the same.. i am a bit of camera buff.. and overall a good crt will win out on picture picture quality alone..

i try and avoid too much side by side comparing thow.. just like with audio u can drive yourself mad try to work out which is best.. he he he

i just swopped from a cheaper 17 inch lcd to a 20 inch widescreen.. costing me £300.. in some ways i prefered the cheap 17inch one.. after about a week i simply got used to the new monitor and just enjoyed the extra real estate..

strangely enough the new one is probably more colour realistic.. but i kinda liked the extra colour virbrancy the old cheaper one had.. avoid monitor buff forums thow at all costs and digital cameras and hi-fy... he he he he

in gaming thow i have never seen the slightest sign of responce time problems.. with either of them..

trog
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  12. Kurtis New Member

Thanks Received:
    what about those old 32-36 inch crt's I see on ebay any good ?? I was about to get one before I got my 19 widescreen lcd
  13. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    For what you will spend on a 22" CRT you could prolly get a decent 19" TFT.

You can get a decent TFT (19") for under £200 these days.

IMO TFT > CRT, no matter how big the CRT is.

I need the picture and colour quality and CRT's just don't cut it compared to a TFT.
  14. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    640x480 semi sharp
    800x600 blurry but readable / workable
    1024x768 blurry to the point of damaging your iris
    higher resolutions usually not possible
  15. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are you talking about dude? A good CRT has the best possible quality and response. You can get an LCD, with the same kind of quality for a LOT more.

The CRT's have better bang for buck.
  16. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    I stated my opinion, and it's just that.

& that was without adding how much real estate you can gain back with a TFT.

CRT's just ain't worth botheing with these days, they had their day and now it's gone.