1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cant decide which cooler for q6600 , for nearly 40$

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by wolf2009, Mar 21, 2008.

1. wolf2009 Guest

i was looking at zerotherm nirvana 120mm , ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro . cant decide which to get . I dont want extreme overclock on q6600 . most of the time it will be at default speeds but i dont want intel heatsink .

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Xigmatek S1283. Almost everyone on here will recommend that cooler to you. It's about your price range, and it cools EXTREMELY well due to Heatpipe Direct Touch.

Newegg Linky

3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Nirvana is a great cooler. I am very pleased with it.
    It dropped my CPU temps by about 5C across the board when I replaced my Scythe Mine (which was a decent cooler to begin with)

Plus the blue LED fan goes well with my other stuff.

4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    My dad has an artic freezer 7 pro on his q6600 which runs at stock.
    never goes above 20*c. Only ever 25*C under a 100% stress test. This using the pre-applied thermal paste too!!! Sometimes in the winter, his cores are at about 7*C!! :eek: really lives upto its name lol. Runs at 3ghz with marginal increases in temps. For the price you cant beat it!!!

5. VroomBang New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 last week. It is very efficient indeed - my idle temp went from 52C to 32C on a Pentium D 925 3.0GHz, while using the stock thermal compound pre-applied on the base.

However, bear in mind that it is a real pain to install. I spent almost an hour trying to make it fit, when the intel stock cooler takes 15 seconds. Because its pins are thicker than the intel cooler's, it's very difficult to push them through the motherboard. And because the plastic tips are very fragile and softer than intel's, they bend backwards when you apply pressure, which then of course makes it impossible to insert. I broke the plastic cover of two pins but managed to secure the cooler with a bit of DIY, to keep me going until I RMA it in a few days.

Have a look at the feedback from users on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&Page=2

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    freezer 7 pro: compact (fits in 95% of cases), depending on rotation can cool NB heatsink (a real plus in some systems) or VRM's. Cheap.

Next cooler after that wold be the Xigmatek 92mm or 120mm coolers (both are cheap, and cool better than the freezer 7 - you need to double the price to the TRUE120 that i use to beat these)

7. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    Get the Xigmatek. My freezer 7 pro works alright, but if I was just a little bit cooler I could bump it up another .2ghz. Might try a fan on the other side to see if that gets me what I need. :rockout:

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Then his isn't reading temps properly. Even on a good h20 setup, my Q6600 loaded to the 30s stock.

@OP: Get the Xigmatek S1283. Best cooler in it's price range.

9. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    7*C were just after boot, lol! 4got 2 mention that soz. I suppose to be far tho, he has a 140mm front fan, two 120mm side fans, and a 120mm exhaust fan sitting right behind so... Sounds like a wind tunnel but damn effective, lol!!!

Think some of the coolers effectiveness depends on the case really. I hade to install mine in a different rotation than the manual said to make the most effective use out of it.

10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    one thing: you can NEVER get below ambient temps. Unless it was 7c in his room or he has a TEC cooler, you cannot go below ambient.

Its a common misconception that fans make things 'colder' - they dont. its impossible. Heatsinks move the heat away onto metal, so that the fans can blow the heat out of the case - it can make your hardware close to ambient temperatures, but you will never MATCH, let alone beat ambients.

11. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Lol, my dad is a bit of a tight ass, lol! The heating is set for mornings and evenings @14*C :eek: . His case is against an outside wall, so it prob wouldnt suprise me if the ambient room temp was 7*C, lol!!! :rolleyes: