1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cant decide which one i want

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Theoddis, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope... it looks like a bad card

2. ReaperX87

Thanks Received:
    I have owned both nvidia and amd cards and I will never go back to amd they have horrible drivers and support. Cards are slower than nvidia anyway. I had a 5870 XxX edition card when bf3 came out and I have a buddy that has the same card still and he can't even finish a map of bf3. Drivers keep failing, if you want your money's worth go nvidia, old saying is you get what you pay for. More you pay better quality and all and all.

3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I used to run ATI/AMD, and for years I just thought that if you have a dedicated video card, you have constant problems with drivers, buggy software, artifacts, crashing, etc. Then I switched to nVidia, a 550 Ti last year and a 660 Ti earlier this year, and all those problems vanished. I update the driver every time a new one comes out (about once a month), and my card only runs better - each update improves frame rates in a dozen or more games, and I never have to roll back to a previous driver, they actually TEST their new drivers before releasing them.
    This is just my experience, yours may vary, but I'll never go back to AMD, even if they were half the price they are now. My time is too valuable to waste fiddling with crapware, I have things to do besides constantly fixing someone else's mistakes.

4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I've never had any driver issue with my 5870. I myself am looking into a new card and I keep finding myself leaning towards AMD. I've had a good experience with both NV and AMD cards in the past so really the only thing that's keeping me leaning towards AMD and not totally neutral is AMD cards are much better than NV cards at crunching WCG projects. The only thing holding me back from upgrading my 5870 is waiting for something to roll aroud with a good bit more performance under the $200 price mark, which likely means it will consume a good deal less power than my 5870. I know I'll probably be waiting a while, so I'm still sitting on the 5870.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    you dont tell us at what resolution you play and if you use a multi monitor setup.
    i have buy ati and amd from a lot of years and the only issue i have was in the past the driver support on ubuntu 8.1 and other older version.
    if the price il lower go amd , if you think lavue in money = performance you are wrong why depends for what you need and how you use it .
    and exsample is bring a gtx titan for play at 1280x 1024 its extreme but if you understand what i mean make you choise for what you really need and looking for a future proof videocard is what i think in my opinion.
    the final question is how can you compare a 5970 dual gpu =crossfire on single pci ex vs a gtx 670 sli ? is nonsense compare something with different generation tecnology and driver optimization , you have thinking about make a 7970 crossfire?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  6. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    1920X1080 one monitor and yes eventually will crossfire

7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    it failed on something?
    You dont generally get given an upgraded card after rmaing and then get given a card that breaks (unless you're Asus of course).
    Ever wondered if the problem lies elsewhere.
    if you're on a single monitor at 1080p, you should be looking at the 7950/70 and 670/80. They will all suit your needs, but at very different price points.
    I see a lot of hatred towards both AMD and NVidia in this thread, and you shouldnt listen to any of it. I've owned 6 nvidia card and 4 AMD cards, from the last 3 generations at least. All of them worked well with no complaints besides BETA drivers, but you know, beta is beta, you should expect bugs. Check your price point and get the card closest to it.

8. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    well im still getting the flashes of artifacting and tearing i havent RMA'd the card yet but im sending it out this week and i tried my 460s in sli and no problems so im assuming its just a bad card

9. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Certainly worth RMAing then. Cant blame AMD for faulty cards, just the vendor :D

10. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i dont blame ether i mean there are some people out there who are like "I always buy *insert favorite GPU brand here* and ive never had a bad card ever" all that tells me is "I dont deal with computers other than my own, i might build one computer every couple years or so" but anyone who has dealt with GPUs a lot will tell you no matter what brand or vendor card you have you always have a chance of getting a bad card. Its how said company deals with their bad card. I would have liked to see some shipping paid but an upgraded card will do too. so far with the brands ive dealt with EVGA seems to have the best CS

11. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Certainly, EVGA is among the best of CS's ive ever seen and heard of. Generally you have to be a total asshole to a company in order for them to accept an RMA... sadly!

12. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    for playing at 1920 x 1080 you need a graphic card with 2gb of ram for the actual gaming series and both of them have 2gb + the 7970 is 3gb ,why dont you go with a crossfire of a 7950?
    you have see a comparison like gtx 660 ti sli vs 670 or 7970 at 1920 x 1080?
    if i have the money first to go sli or crossfire i upgrade my resolution at 2560 x 1440/1600
    crossfire with this standard resolution when you can use a single card instead of bring 2 cards and dont use all the power.

p.s. fill you system specs xd

13. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    i5 3570k 3.4 ghz
    16gb corsair vengance 1600mhz
    WD blue 1000gb HD
    sapphire 7970 3gb
    thermaltake 850w PSU

14. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    you wanna play game smooth and make sli or crossfire without overclock the cpu?
    if you can oc your cpu try the sli of 660 ti or the single 7970 and see how is going.
    you have the latest driver? only in wow you have artifacts?
    i have a 6950 and i have played wow a lot of time and no artifacts so i think depends on some settings in the catalyst.

15. Theoddis New Member

Thanks Received:
    to answer your questions
    1.huh?
    2.no im not going to OC my cpu, and I dont have 2 660 ti to SLI all I have is the 7970 and its bad so im RMA'ing it
    3.no artifacting flashes and tearing in all games

16. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    sorry i have missunderstand with another guy ,well you have 2 gtx 460 in sli and you have bring the 7970 now ,if in all the games you have artifact rma xd but dont go sli with 1920 x 1080 .