1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't figure out how to setup AMD Dual Graphics

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Kantastic, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I was at my friend's house for over 3 hours installing and reinstalling his new 6670 trying to configure AMD Dual Graphics (otherwise known as Hybrid CrossfireX between an APU and a dedicated GPU). I tried almost everything, but NOTHING worked! I couldn't find the AMD CrossfireX option under the Performance section of the Vision Engine. I've looked at YouTube videos and followed guides to no avail.

Here are his system specs:

MB: AsRock H55M-HVS
    CPU: AMD 3870K W/. HD 6550D
    GPU: XFX HD 6670 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: Samsung MV-3V4G3/US
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB

I've tried setting the default graphics adapter to both the onboard and the PCI-E car. Most instructions say leave it on the onboard, but AMD themselves say use whichever gives the best performance. I also made sure Surround View was enabled in the BIOS.

Between installing and reinstalling Windows 7 to try different configurations (default graphics adapter, installing AMD drivers between different steps, etc), I just went through 3 agonizing hours and still couldn't get the job done. His motherboard 100% supports AMD Dual Graphics and his APU and the 6670 are listed to be compatible, so I honestly don't see what I'm doing wrong.

2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Which driver did you use?

Some dual graphics/APU reviews used Catalyst 11.12 for testing... not sure if this will help you???

Kantastic says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975-2.html

This might help you. Seems a pretty messy step to get to AMD Dual graphics.
    Hope this helps.

Heres a quote from the link:

By default, Llano wants to be the primary output. So, when you configure your BIOS, set up Windows, and get drivers installed, AMD says use the APU’s outputs. If there’s a discrete card installed, CrossFire gets enabled automatically. At that point you have to install the latest Application Profiles patch, disable CrossFire, shut the system down, and switch over to the discrete outputs. From then on, you won’t see a video signal until Windows loads up. Enable CrossFire, reboot again, and then you should be able to use Dual Graphics. Whew.

Kantastic says thanks.
  4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I used the latest ones off the website, not sure exactly which version. If the advice below fails, I'll try older drivers. Thanks for the tip!

Good god it's going to be a miserable morning. I'll try out these instructions step by step. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I tried the THW method and it didn't work. The major problem was that according to the THW tutorial is that there was no option to turn CrossfireX on or off inside the VISION Engine, I even made sure to install the Application Profiles extension.

I also took Norton's advice and tried older drives (12.2 versus the most recent 12.4) and it still didn't work. I did a clean installation every time (uninstalled old drivers via control panel then cleared fragments using Driver Sweeper).

I took a look inside the VISION Engine and noticed that one GPU is always disabled (depending on which one is the default in the BIOS). Don't both need to be enabled?

6. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Driver sweeper wont do it 100% of the time Kant. You need to be sure.

Control panel >folder options>show hidden folders and select it.

Dig around and delete anything Ati/Amd after determining its tied to the gpu.

Then run driver sweeper IN SAFE MODE :cool:... Install CCleaner and select registry option.
    Click Scan for issues and save the file once... run reg clean and hit Scan again just to be sure everything is gone.
    Re-boot and try with the driver you decide on...

It takes a bit of time but it works ;)

7. BATOFF

BATOFF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kantastic, apparently after reading thru my "VirtuMVP installation guide I recieved with my Asrock Fatality mainboard.....It says "quote" Dual gpu cards, CrossfireX and SLI are NOT supported.
    What a bummer.

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received: