1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant figure this one out.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by csallis, Jan 23, 2008.

1. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys

I have had no problems overclocking with this hardware in the past but recently my ram died so I replaced this with 4gig of Patriot Extreme Performance PC2-6400 which works well but now since the old ram died if I raise any voltages on the FSB or the MCH on my P965-DS3 board it will not boot.

I used to run with these raised no problems and now it wont even do a mild overclock, I have ruled out that the ram is the issue as the ram isnt even been overclocked when I lower the multiplyer and set the FSB to make the ram run at its default 800mhz.

Does anyone have any ideas? im starting to think the board is on its way out.

2. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. Could be the board going, but my guess it is either the board doesnt like running 4 GB of RAM or the PSU may be going. Try OCing with only 2GB of RAM.

Edit: Are you running 4x1GB or 2x2 on the RAM?

3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the fast responses guys, I am running 4 x 1gig sticks I have tried it with just 2 gig in and the same result. Power supply is fairly new and hasnt shown any signs of any problems it still powers my x1950xt fine for gaming its just suffering the damn bottleneck from my processor again :(

I set the voltage from 1.8 to 2.0 to 2.2 as it specifies 2.2v on this ram and 1.8 is my motherboards default. its actually this version of the ram http://www.patriotmem.com/products/groupdetailp.jsp?prodgroupid=38&prodline=5&group=PC2-6400&catid=2 with tighter timings though I have tried looser timings but the FSB voltage will not budge even one notch up makes it not boot.

5. PyroX1040 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do believe it's teh board >.>!

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Before eveyone goes on about broken hardware, have you made sure that all unecessary and OC limiting options are off in the bios?

7. csallis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have done this, and checked it over and over, im not a complete beginner to overclocking, especially with this system I have had it running brilliant for a long time until now.

PyroX1040 thats my thoughts to that its the board thats somehow on its way out which is concerning as its not even a year old, mind you saying that none of my parts are.