1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't find anyway to fix this problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MattMilne94, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    System Info:

AMD Radeon 7850 HD (OC edition)
    Intel i5-3450 cpu
    p8h77-v le mobo
    600W corsair power supply
    8GB Corsair vengance DDR3 RAM
    500GB seagate hard drive
    PCI wireless network card
    Windows 7 OS

Hi, I have been on multiple site and can't find any solution to my problem. When I am gaming I keep getting random crashes after various lengths of time with every game that I have. When it crashes the computer screen goes black and the sound goes funny. The computer doesn't actually turn off it just stays on without me being able to do anything - I have to hold down the power button then reboot to get it to work again.

List of what I have done to try and fix my computer:

I put it into a computer shop and they also ran furmark tests on it and couldn't get it to crash.
    Installed latest drivers
    Installed latest mobo bios
    RMA'd my graphics card and got a brand new one
    Monitored temperatures through - coretemp/cpu id/cpuhw whilst gaming
    Reinstalled OS
    Ran furmark tests myself
    Memtest

The other night that it crashed I got a message saying:

"checking file system on c

Type of file system is NTFS

One of the dsks needs to be checked for consistency..."

I then canned hard drive with hdtune
    results of hd tune:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/MattMilne94/hdtune-page1_zpsc45d0c1f.png
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/MattMilne94/hdtune-page2_zps79120e81.png
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/MattMilne94/hdtune-page3_zps8a20e1cc.png

Also did the error test with it and got all green squares(hd tune)

This has happened from the day that I built my pc and is stressing me out a great deal because of the money and time I have put into building it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    You'll find plenty of help here.

Just throwing out my experience here:

I had a similar issue to yours with the games crashing and what-not, I eventually found out it was the power supply dying (I was able to smell the burning material).

When you game, your cards are going to draw more power. The 600W PSU you have is adequate for a Radeon 7850, it may simply be having other problems.

This isn't to say it is the PSU. I'm just putting my experience out there and it's something for you to consider.

When you say the computer shop ran FurMark on it, did they have your entire system or just the graphics card?

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  3. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They had the entire system

You said that the 600W would be enough power for my radeon 7850 HD, but mines is the OC edition which came pre overclocked, and i sadly don't smell any burning coming from my PSU :S

4. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I have a 7950 overclocked 35% 24/7 on 600w. 600w is enough.

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That's a tough one since you have already changed the video card. The first guess.

Are you attempting to overclock the CPU, Memory or Graphics card?

Edit: Try downclocking the video card through CCC and see if it helps.

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  6. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, I am not that experienced when dealing with computers - this is my first build and have not attempted to OC anything

7. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    you might try removing all but 1 stick of ram and then test each stick 1 at a time.

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  8. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried testing it with each stick of RAM

What should i downclock the card to?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Check BSOD logs, most likely is ram, but could be PSU, as mentioned.

Disk Check is initiated any time the OS fails to boot 3x in a row.

But first, eliminate potential software issues, and this can only be done by checking error logs before these crashes happen. Identify what goes wrong right before the crash, you'll have the answer.

purecain and MattMilne94 say thanks.
  10. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Don't be sad you don't smell anything burning. :laugh:

Hey, I consider myself fairly experienced with computers and even I don't OC stuff. Just never really felt the need. I can understand the position of those who do. It's the same as people who like to tune their cars; they want to squeeze more performance out of them using what they can.

You've already tried a number of things, so you're already ahead of the game and people won't have you chasing after things that have already been covered. If you load GPU-Z, I think you can log all the information to a file. Set it to do this, load up a game, play it until it crashes, then go and put a copy of the GPU-Z log here (I think it'll save even if you have to hard reset). Mind you, don't copy and paste the contents of the file. Just upload the .txt document.

Also, if you can, find a way to monitor your voltages. Some others here might be able to recommend you something.

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  11. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was also going to say you might try the other PCI-e slot if you have not done so

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  12. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys for all the help - I have to go for just now but i will do what you said and run games until it crashes using gpu-z

I have checked the event log before and get these messages:

Error 17/12/2012 21:54:05 EventLog 6008 None
    Critical 17/12/2012 21:53:55 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
    Error 17/12/2012 21:54:00 Kernel-EventTracing 3 Session
    Error 17/12/2012 21:54:07 Eventlog 1101 Event processing

Thanks for your help guys you have been really speedy and helpful

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    That error is from the system not shutting down correctly, it's a notification that the shutdown was not completed.

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Out of curiosity, what audio device are you using and what and how many audio devices are shown and enabled (not same as default) in Device Manager?

For some that type of lockup has been circumvented by disabling non used audio devices in Device Manager (such as HDMI HD Audio if you're using onboard, or vise versa).

Most don't seem to have a problem with two or more audio devices being enabled in DM, because Windows only allows one audio device at a time as the default, but for those whom do, this has been known to help.

Also make sure the higher power devices are put on separate power rails of the PSU. For instance GPU on it's own rail, HDDs on another, etc.

Don't pay too much attention to error 41, because it's just the fact that you had to hard reboot after the crash. It's just Windows saying there was an unexpected shut down.

There's also blue screen errors 100 and 124 that apply to not enough memory or CPU voltage, in case you're getting those, but that should only happen with a CPU and/or FSB OC that is unstable.

Lastly, what RAM are you using and how is it configured in the BIOS? If you're not OCing you should just enable the XMP profile for it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    MattMilne94 says thanks.
  15. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    What make and model is that wireless network card.

are you running 32 bit or 64 bit.

Have you checked to see if the wireless network card has a certified driver for 64 bit if you are running 64 bit.

You might find the card is running on legacy 32 bit drivers and it's causing a hardware corruption. Or it may be that the card is faulty.

If you can connect to the net with a cable and remove the wireless adapter for a few days and see if the problem goes away.

Links to some very similar sounding problems :D

http://www.overclock.net/t/899800/wireless-network-adapter-causing-crashes

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wirele...ssue-with-Atheros-AR9285-Wireless/td-p/289126

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  16. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, thanks for the reply when i go into device manager>sound, video and game controllers i have:
    AMD High definition audio device
    Realtek High definition audio device

I am also using a pair of turtlebeach x11 to hear the sounds if that makes any difference

Regarding putting the different devices on a different power rail I am not sure how to do that

I have never had a blue screen error whilst doing this

The model of Wireless network card I am using is :

TP-Link 300MBps TL-WN951N

I have the latest drivers for this piece of hardware, I will try what you said with the ethernet cable when I can get my hands on one long enough to reach to the other room - this is worth a try as I have no done anything surrounding the network card

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  17. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Never mind about the separate power rails for GPU and HDD. I just realized you have a single rail PSU, so it doesn't matter.

With your setup you're no doubt using the realtek onboard sound through analog out shown as...

Speakers
    Realtek High Definition Audio

...in Control Panel\Sound.

In this case you would right click on AMD High definition audio device in Device manager and click disable.

That's it, you'll then have only one audio device enabled. If you ever want to use the AMD HD Audio or find there is no difference with it disabled, you can always click enable.

MattMilne94 says thanks.
  18. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    could this have been the cause to my crashing problems?

19. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    I see you did a lot trying to fix the issue. You also monitored the temperatures, but how high were the temperatures of the cpu and gpu exactly in idle and full load? Also what CPU cooler are you using now? And what PC case are you using?

As for the ram-modules, they may not work well with the motherboard, even when the memtest shows no error. I had a similar issue with a PC with an Intel P55 motherboard with Corsair XMS3 DDR3 modules, in the 8 passes memtest didn't show any errors. Once I switched to G-Skill Ripjaws ram-modules the crashes and freezes were gone, totally vanished. So maybe it's an idea to exchange the Corsair Vengeance for different brand ram-modules which may work better with the motherboard.

neliz says thanks.
  20. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whilst the system was idle i was getting temperatures of around 32-34 C and when gaming around about 50, I am also using stock intel cpu cooler, and I am using inWin mana case

21. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Stock CCC 7850 clocks are 860Mhz for core and 1200Mhz for memory, start there and try furmark to see what temps you're getting. You might also want to try bumping the fan up to 75% or 100% (manual) just for a test.

50 is good. You should try Prime95 and monitor the temps for each core, it'll give a good read on full load temps. Gaming load on a CPU can be "spotty"

22. neliz

neliz MSI Rep

Thanks Received:
    Like TC-Man says above.

Check your system memory. For testing purposes take low-speed memory from a different brand.
    I had a problem with an Asus P5 board with the same symptoms as you describe. It seems they are notorious for memory incompatibility (word from OCZ).

23. MattMilne94 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not keen on putting more money into unless I know what the problem definitely is

24. neliz

neliz MSI Rep

Thanks Received:
    Get DDR3 from a mate? they probably have some at the store you can borrow as well.

25. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    As neliz said, Test another set of RAM in this machine as well as PSU if you possibly can.

Crunching for Team TPU