1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't Flash MSI 9600GT

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by QWERTZ, May 22, 2008.

1. QWERTZ

QWERTZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't Flash MSI 9600GT [Solved]

Hello everybody! :)

I'm trying to OC my graphic card, an MSI 9600GT OC with the Custom MSI Cooler. I want to flash the BIOS, to so I tried Nvflash, and I edited my BIOS with the Nvidia BIOS
    Editor. I bumped the clocks to 725/1740/975. But it can't flash the card, everytime I try, I get an Error!
    I did a check , I compared the OC BIOS with the stock one, and they aren't the same, I guess it's normal. The weird thing is that, I'm guess that I should he able to flash the BIOS with the same one right? [Flashing the BIOS, with the Original] But I can't!
    I tried putting -4 -5 -6 to force the flash but it won't do it. I did : nvflash --index=1 -4 -5 -6 9600OC.rom.
    What to do?
    Thanks for your Help!
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. Fahim

Thanks Received:
    The bios should be same when you compare and when you flash, its a bit strange that it is not. Would it be possible to attach the bios in this post so I can have a look?
    QWERTZ says thanks.
  3. QWERTZ

QWERTZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your answer!

Here is the ORIGINAL BIOS and the MODDED BIOS, I changed the clocks with NiBiTor 4.0. I bumped the clocks a little [725/1740/975], tried the clocks with Rivatuner, and I tested the setting, it's stable and works.
    The Sumcheck is not the same, the ORIGINAL is "CC", and the MODDED is "5E". Is that the problem? When I try to compare it says that there is a Mismatch at Offset 0x0000CD11
    The exact message I get is : "Error : Update Aborted"
    Thanks for your Help!

Attached Files:

4. Fahim

Thanks Received:
    How did you try to flash the bios, from dos or windows. Try to boot from bootable cd or something and try to flash, before you proceed, nvflash will automatically check if the bios are correct. If you have a windows 98 bootable cd, it becomes a lot easier. I am looking into your bios now.
  5. Temps_Riising

Temps_Riising New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you using the newest NVFlash and if so.....does it actually support the 9600GT?
  6. QWERTZ

QWERTZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yess!! I did it! Sorry I'm such a dumb geek. nvflash uses an English keyboard, and since I'm from Switzerland, Im using a French keyboard. The "y" and "z" are inverted!
    I flashed the 9600GT to Core725/Shader1740/Memory975. Now I'm testing stability.
    I can run Crysis without a problem but when I did an ATI-Tools scan it made my PC freeze after 15min. Temp were around 58 at load.
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  7. Fahim

Thanks Received:
    Good to know that you flashed the bios at last. ATI Tool is very efficient in detecting even small problems with graphics subsytem which most of the times stays hidden with games. Try to lower the clocks down a bit and then test again.
    QWERTZ says thanks.
  8. QWERTZ

QWERTZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually I re-flashed the card because I told my self : Okay so the EVGA SSC version works at 740Core/975Mem/1835Shad so why can't my MSI run at those clocks? It's the same layout, and my MSI has better cooling! So I flash at thoses clocks and now it's 100% stable during an ATI-Tool Artifacts scan.
    Now that I know how to flash a VGA BIOS, no more buying pre-overclocked cards! :laugh:
  9. Fahim

Thanks Received:
    welcome to TPU then. :)