1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't get an image, PS3 to PC monitor. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SaiZo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I don't know if I posted in the right place (if not, please move it).

First things first.. The PS3 usually was connected to my own LG 24" monitor this way:
    PS3-->HDMI-->DVI adapter-->LG monitor.

It worked perfectly, and yes I did my research on it and saw that many people said it would not work this way, HDCP blah bla bla..

But this time it's going to be connected to an older monitor, the HP 2035.
    It doesn't work. I tried the reset console (hold the power button whilst it is in standby), still nothing. The monitor itself comes also with VGA and a Coaxial connection.. That part works.

First I thought like "Sh**, I have destroyed the PS3?!".. Then when I started to read about the HP 2035.. It doesn't support 1080, but 720.

So then I have another problem I guess?

The only thing I could see was some lines on the screen last night after the reset.
    Could it be that the monitor itself is too old and out of range for the signal?

Using a DVI-D adapter between the HDMI cable. It does work with my LG screen, but not this screen..

PS3 is updated as a final note.

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, the HP screen does not support HDCP (too old), but my LG does.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Bingo. That is why. HDCP will work over HDMI -> DVI adapters as long as the display supports it. Most modern displays will work. HDCP is such a pain imho. It's protection at a level that most likely doesn't need it. All DRM can be circumvented in some way, shape, or form.
    hellrazor and SaiZo say thanks.
  3. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    True.. But what I don't understand why the PS3 feels so "locked" with this HDCP, wouldn't have been better if they just removed options for movies, streamed USB's etc. if you wanted to connect something that doesn't have HDCP feature?

I can "modify" the PS3, or get a box of some sort and put between the machine and screen. But then it's smarter to just go and buy a new screen.

Someone, somewhere want's to "control" the end user, that's the feeling I get.
    Question is: Who and why?
  4. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Dude...it's a form of DRM/protection like every other media out there. DVDs, Blu-rays, videogames, etc...everything has it nowadays. The DHCP issue has been around since the PS3 released, so it isn't anything new by a long shot. You can strip it with a device as you said, but considering most TVs and monitors produced anytime in the last 5 years have DHCP, it isn't a big deal.
    SaiZo says thanks.
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Lesson to those whom gloss over intelligent compatibility responses with "HDCP blah bla bla..", they're actually trying to give you useful information.

For the record OP, I don't like HDCP anymore than you do, but anyone that buys a PS3 or Blu-ray player ought to be aware of it. Such things were talked about during the HD-DVD/Blu-ray wars well before Blu-ray won.
    SaiZo says thanks.
  6. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I didn't buy the screen. I found it..