1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cant get my mic to work...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jeff574, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Jeff574 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey lol so i feel really dumb but i can get by mic to work right... its just a cheap little CA mic from wal mart... i have it plugged into my onboard mic slot.. pretty much when i test the hardware its fine on the first test but when it adds playback it gets really loud and starts screeching... it also does it in CSS when i test the mic in there... ppl in game say that cant/bearly hear me...

any ideas??
  2. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    did you play with the recording/playback volume so far ?
  3. Jeff574 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea, tried lowering them and upping them.. whats weird is i had music going while playing CSS and when i miced up they could hear my music just fine but i had headphones on... but when i talk they cant seem to hear me
  4. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    That is very odd indeed. Make sure that the mic is setup in Windows and whatever sound manager you are using. I once set mine up in Windows, but not realtec and had strange problems.
  5. JousteR

JousteR

Thanks Received:
    Try : Control panel-sound-recording on thumbnail-microphone-custom and make sure the +20db microphone boost is ticked..?

Just a suggestion.. :)

Edit: Just noticed your on XP its nearly the same for xp just try and find that boost box..
    The suggestion was in Vista.
  6. Jeff574 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have no idea... i went into sound options and tested the mic, the mic test goes ok, i can get it to register if i move the mic right up to my lips, but on the second part (speaker test) thats when it screeches and gets really loud, its echoing too... ima try to DL realtek's drivers see if that helps, then go into the realtek audio thing in the sys. tray and use the cancell echo option and see if that works...
  7. Jeff574 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok the echo cancel didnt work...
  8. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like nothing more than feedback to me. Need to turn down the gain of the mic.

Note that miking AND speakers at the same time can cause impossible to solve problems. You really need headphones, no speakers, and mic.

Different mikes have different characteristics. Some are designed to pick up all the noise in the room. Others are designed to pick up only what is in the very near vacinity, e.g. your mouth piece mic. Make sure you have the right type.
  9. Jeff574 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so i updated drivers but now i dont have any sound at all lol