1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't get Physx to run in win 7 Ultimate 64 with GTX 275?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by LifeOnMars, Feb 18, 2010.

1. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi peeps, I've had my rig a week now and it's been performing well in all games I've thrown at it. Initially I started out with the latest Nvidia drivers but then with research, found I couldn't overclock and would have to use the betas to enable that, which I did and that was fine. Today I decided to try the Batman AA demo as I completed the game on the xbox 360 and enjoyed it alot so wanted to see it with improved visuals and of course - physx.

I went to enable physx in the demo launcher and it said " Your hardware does not support NVIDIA hardware accelerated Physx"

Odd, I thought the GTX2xxx series could enable it and still maintain reasonable performance???

Thinking it was possibly the demo I then downloaded the physx liquid particle benchmark and it wouldn't let me enable hardware mode it was just running in software??

Its was enabled in the nvidia control panel and was present in system information so I then thought is this a driver bug??

I have now uninstalled the betas and gone back to an older driver 185.85 and still the problem persists:ohwell:

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I wanna see a bit of physx action from my pc even if I don't then use it in games, at least having the option would be nice :)
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    so you tried 196.34 but not 196.21?
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    have you installed the nvidia phsyX software (assuming its still seperate to the drivers) and have you tried i dunno, turning it on?
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  4. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Initially I was running 196.21 and oops, yeh I guess I didn't try it with them but then they wouldn't let me overclock anyways and as I was benching I needed some that do.
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    if the new drivers work for physix then just use rivatuner to overclock your card. rivatuner is better than the nvidia OC software
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I can see the physx is installed within the nvidia driver packages I have tried and it gives me the option to enable/disable. I have have always made sure it was enabled. It shows in the driver system information as well.
  7. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, my first course of action I think is going to be to uninstall these drivers, reinstall the latest ones and try it with them, then take it from there.
  8. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    my opinion would be to install driver sweeper and uninstall the drivers then reboot into safe mode then use driver sweeper to get the rest of the drivers out THEN install the latest drivers
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK so I download driver sweeper and install it, I then unistall the drivers im using currently via the control panel yes? Boot into safe mode (how do i do that?) and use driver sweeper, then I install the latest drivers is that correct?
  10. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    When you restart your computer after uninstalling through control panel, keep hitting F8 and it will pop up a menu when it tries to boot, pick safe mode
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    So after booting into safe mode and running driver sweeper do i then reboot and install the latest drivers or install them within safe mode?
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    reboot and install.
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  13. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, just done a reinstall of the drivers using the method above. Checked system info and showed 196.21 , showed all the other various components such as 3d,cuda,physx. Enabled physx and saved it. Fired up the batman demo and the same thing, then tried the physx water particle benchmark and still only runs in software????

Any ideas anyone?
  14. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    SORTED!!! A strange one but can hopefully help someone else in the future, looking in control panel whilst uninstalling programs there was one called "NVIDIA GAME System Software"??? Never heard of that before so uninstalled it on a hunch, fired up the batman demo and guess what - Physx on high :))) Computers can be the weirdest things next to humans. Thanks for your suggestions people.