1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant get Sata HDD to work? help me please

Discussion in 'Storage' started by DrGreenThumb, Jan 8, 2012.

1. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi my friend had to give back his myskyhdi but he pulled out the HDD from it:laugh:

Its 320gb Seagate , i tryed to get it to work but it just freezers up my boot process and wont even let me go to setup

so i gave it back, he then gave it to another friend who has put it into some usb case and reformatted it to Fat32 (noob) this guy has also done this and is running his own 320gb from mysky fine thru his Usb case thing

So i tryed it again thinking the format would get it to work, but it stills wont work and freeze

where it stops on boot up, it says something like 320gb Master, I already have a Master HDD, how do i make it slave?? on the jumper block picture it only has two settings 3gb/s is empty and two pins is "limit to 1.5gb/s operation"

Please Help, thanks

2. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    SATA drives don't have a master/slave setting. You only have one drive per data cable, so every drive is master.

Your motherboard's SATA controller only supports 1.5Gb/s, so the drive is throttled down to match it.

Have you run the diagnostics in Seagate SeaTools on the drive? You can burn the DOS version to a bootable CD. Disconnect your existing hard drive, plug in just the Seagate 320, and boot the CD. If you're still having problems at boot-up, try a different SATA cable (or plug the Seagate drive into the data cable of your existing drive).

DrGreenThumb says thanks.
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The same thing happened to me with a WD Caviar Blue 500GB. If I try to boot with it, even if it isn't the system drive, the bios would lock up but worked when used with an external enclosure.

Weird thing, it works fine in one of the PCs I have around (Asus P4P800-VM board). Maybe it's some sort of timing issue?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for info guys, much appreciated , ill try that

5. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Is your main drive SATA I or SATA II?
    Some motherboards will not accept SATA II drives if they are SATA I native.
    THis is when you have to use a jumper to force the drive to run at SATA I speeds.

6. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks,Its pretty old PC , I think it must be Sata I , i got a free 400gb ide today that im formatting now, hopefully i can pinch the jumper from it as i dont have any spare , ill try that

I really need another 2tb WD usb HDD but the prices are pretty high at the moment ,but this 720gb will def postpone that