1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant get wine to work ubuntu 9.10

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by tommywakefield08, Oct 18, 2009.

1. tommywakefield08

tommywakefield08 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am new to linx ive tried it before with the 8.10 release but i dont want to give up this time. ive installed the ubuntu 9.10 on my hp mini 1000 and for the life of me i ether cant figure out how to use wine or i cant get it to install correctly. please help!!!!!!!!

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Read the docs carefully. And don't install via Aptitude, they have old versions of Wine (at least the last time I tried that).

tommywakefield08 says thanks.
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I believe you want to do this (at least that is how I've installed wine in the past):
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Code:
    apt-get install wine 

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    i've had the same problem in the past, wine simply wouldn't start, either from the gnome menu or via a terminal command. infortunately I can't remember having this issue solved....

1/You might want to desinstall your current installed version and restart from scratch

2/Edit your sourcelist and add the following Ubuntu Wine Team PPA to your update sources

3/Add the following signing key so that the above PPA becomes a trusted update place

4/Refresh your sourcelist

5/Get the latest version of wine

By the way, 9.10 is stil in a beta stage at the time you wrote your message isn't it ?

5. tommywakefield08

Thanks Received:
    thank you all for your posts ill try them all as soon as i get the chance. i know that 9.10 is still beta so i anit to hard pressed to get it working. but it would be nice. :) just to get some confirmation about how it installed and if it installed correctly. the options under the applications dropdown are programs, browse C:\ Drive, Configure Wine, and uninstall wine software. if that is correct how do you start it or even install a program under it.

6. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried to install directly from the repositories?

7. tommywakefield08

Thanks Received:
    what is that???

8. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    ok that is like MS update but you can pick what updates you want

9. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    If properly installed, Wine is visible inside your right click contextual menu

Try to download whatever windows apps you want and save it to your desktop. Right click over it and you should have something like "Open with Wine"

For future browsing, a virtual windows directory tree called "drive_c" is created inside your user directory and holds all your installed windows programs, but you have to ctrl+H to unhide it, it's called .wine

10. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Sorry been a bit busy...Wine is kind of slow it's like running a virtual machine..it takes a hit

11. tommywakefield08

Thanks Received:
    hay thanks for all your help i figured it out a wile ago thanks to all of u guys. :) i just havent had the time to reply back. thanks a bunch god bless.