1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't install OS, every time BSOD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Frangorn, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Frangorn

Frangorn

Thanks Received:
    By the way, what do you recommend Win7 or Win8? I'll take another OS copy, so I can get another OS instead of W7.
  2. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    8 - hands down :D
  3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    If you already have a copy of windows 7, you do not need to buy another. You can download an .ISO file and use the key that you have.
  4. Frangorn

Frangorn

Thanks Received:
    Well, at this moment W7 is installed and running.

Good stuff is that now I have one new Seagate Barracuda 1TB, one thermal grease, a new win7 copy and the unvaluable experience of not to trust in a DVD copy ;). At least for the moment, now I'll go to mothers house and I expect found PC working when come back.

Bad stuff is that if I connect the new HDD in some SATA port OS si hold when appears four windows, not sure reason, maybe because do not recognize master/slave? because is in IDE mode? Have to find somewhere a jumper to set them... or do you recommend something else?

Anyway, for now I can live with that...

Thanks a lot to all of you, I'm a little bit less noob now.

some emoticons from my daughter:
    :eek::D:rockout::laugh::confused::confused::slap::slap::slap::slap::slap::slap:

Bests
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  5. Frangorn

Frangorn

Thanks Received:
    Everything looks OK! Except for the Seagate HDD, seems to be broken... I tried to install OS and is impossible, if I try to run PC with that one connected OS can't load :p
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. Frangorn

Frangorn

Thanks Received:
    BSOD again... I just downloading Avast and with Chrome open reading the dairy and forum, navigating trought USB Modem :banghead:

Stop error:

0x00000124(0x0000000000000000,0xFFFFFA8007AB6028,0x00000000BE200000,0x000000000005110A)

Does anyone understand this code? or some help, I guess can run PC to copy minidump, but don't know how to read it, total commander viewer can't do it, I found one tool but only show the crash done in the PC you run it but don't open files...

Thanks.
  7. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING HARD DRIVES IN SATA MODE OR AHCI. Not IDE.
    TO CORRECT ISSUE, YOU MAKE THE CHANGE IN BIOS. NO JUMPERS ON HARD DRIVE.

STOP ERROR CODE ...124 IS A HARDWARE FAIL CODE.

IS THERMAL PASTE PROPERLY APPLIED TO CPU?

FORMAT "BAD" DRIVE AND RUN SEAGATE DISK WIZARD: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/
    Frangorn says thanks.
  8. Frangorn

Frangorn

Thanks Received:
    SATA is now set in AHCI after change some key in registry. OS still running now.

I noticed SM Bus controller was not installed, so I realize this was before change to AHCI, anyway I installed it, and now I think this was the original BSOD reason, is it possible? I hope so, indeed I noticed it takes too long to install, maybe DVD fail?

Another thing is that yesterday system failed like one hour after use USB Modem (3G connection), does this USB Lan use this missed SM bus controller? one of my guess... thinking on download controller and reinstall to be sure.

Thanks.

P.S.: I tried to format the seagate HDD on my office PC and same than house PC, OS stay holded on "four colours windows and didn't start... some clue?
    P.S.: I replaced grease on CPU too.