1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant install windows on new RAID array

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bpmcleod, Mar 26, 2013.

1. bpmcleod

Thanks Received:
    I just got a pair of plextor m3 pro 256gb hard drives. I put them into a raid array and went to install Win7 on them, and keep getting the error "Windows cannot be installed on this hardware". I previously had two OCZ Agility 3s in raid so I know they are on the correct mobo controller (unless plextor takes a different controller? ) and my BIOS is set to raid currently. Any thoughts?

Mobo: Asrock Extreme4 z77
    SSDs: 2x Plextor M3P 1.04 Firmware on Intel Controllers
    CPU: i5-3570k
    GPU: 2x GTX 670s
    RAM: 4x4 G Skill Ripjaws

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    are you installing Windows 7 from USB?

3. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    You might have to load the drivers for the sata controller before it will let you install to it.

4. bpmcleod

Thanks Received:
    I'm installing it from a disk. I was able to get it working using the 32 bit raid drivers on a 64 bit os. For some reason the 64 bit ones wouldnt give me a usable install. Doesn't matter though as my motherboard wasnt posting two slotsof my ram so I rmad it and juat upgraded to the asrock extreme 6 lol. Hopefully I wont have these problems with it also.

Geofrancis says thanks.
  5. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    Good that you got it working but it's really strange that the 32 bit drivers are working lol

6. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't it be wiser to have the windows install on a separate disk than the RAID array? Because if you ever needed to install or upgrade windows, you'd have to format the whole array if you couldn't install (and anyway you should format any drive you install fresh windows on)...

Personally I always keep the Windows installation on a separate disk or at least separate partition. I reinstall a fresh copy of Windows once every 6 months to a year, generally. Keeps my PC clean and Windows installation fresh and not bogged down by a massive useless registry full of junk from old installations of this and that that never get removed from uninstall.

7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter.

8. bpmcleod

Thanks Received:
    What was even more weird, was that when I got my extreme6 board, the os on my drives thst was installed on the extreme4 board was working. I decided to do a fresh install though and doing so was a bad idea. The drivers for the extreme6 board wouldnt work period. The 32 bit ones wouldnt show a usable drive after loading them and the 64 bit ones would give me a corrupted file or missing error after install. So i gave up on a raif array and just put it on one of the plextors for now. Might try again sometime later with the extreme4 drivers.

9. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    Try drivers from the intel site and the ones from the motherboards site.

10. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    It's normal that you need 32-bit drivers, seeing how Windows PE 3 (Pre-install Environment), that Win7 uses for it's installation, is 32-bit even for a 64-bit Windows.
    I'm not entirely sure about WinPE4 (the one that Win8 uses), though.