1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't install XP Mode in Win7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by RejZoR, Oct 25, 2009.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Well, in fact i can, but after installation, i'm supoose to get icons in start menu. But i don't.
    And i can't do anaything with the damn thing. I've checked program files and all i can find there are some stupid scripts and VHD image. But no damn executables. WTF!?
  2. shk021051 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you can install only on Windows 7Professional /Windows 7Ultimate
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Win7 Ultimate, so that shouldn't be an issue. Besides, i'm sure i'd get an error message if i wasn't allowed to install it on my edition.

It installs fine but i don't get any shortcuts and no wizard ever starts after installation (like i'm reading in tutorials on net and in MS help files which are even weirder).

I'm just following these steps:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

But i'm not getting the desired effect. I just don't get it.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have the Virtualization technology for your CPU activated in the Bios?

It should look like this when everything is installed right:
    [​IMG]
  5. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    i thought u had to install some virtual machine program thing to, i could be wrong tho but im sure i have read about it being needed.

lol the poster above beat me to it about the virtual pc thing.
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I thought that's kinda obvious isn't it? It's not that i can't install it like that, i don't have ANY means to run it. There are no executables, no shortcuts, nothing AT ALL. Like i haven't installed anything. I just got VHD file in Program Files folder and and some other useless files. How can i configure it if i can't execute anything. That's my problem, not VT tech or wrong edition of OS.
  7. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ - install this first
  8. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW the XP mode sucks cause it emulates hardware from like 1989 and you cant use your current devices there...
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It seems that for some reason i didn't get second link where i had to download VirtualPC. Just the first one. But now i got it. Weird. I guess it'll work now...
  10. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
  11. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Are you talking about previous versions of microsoft virtualpc (2007sp1 comes to mind) that rely on software for virtualization...

i would certainly hope allowing access to your hardware through the bios would give you quite a few more options than a Pentium 3 (unless installed on a Pentium 3 based machine) than that of previous iterations of microsoft software products.
  12. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Nah, he's talking about emulation of different components. The gfx card in emulated environment doesn't have the same HW functions as your physical one in host OS. Usually that means no HW Direct3D and stuff like that. Well, at least that was the case for VirtualPC 2007 and i don't think this has changed lately. Apart from resource sharing between host and client.
    You can get 3D, just not through Direct3D. You have to use Software rendering.
  13. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    okay.. that makes perfect sense now...i wasnt thinking about graphics at all:)

thinking about this..Intel have made huge development in the virtualization market, i wonder if nvidia could develop something similar with cuda...that would impress me
  14. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I think it all depends on how successful Windows 7 will be (and XP Mode with it).
    If there is enough interest, there is a chance that other vendors will try to add features like this to Virtual Machine. Not sure how you'd utilize CUDA directly in it, but true 3D hardware aceleration inside VM would be nice indeed.