1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't run Unigine Heaven benchmark in DX11

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Paulieg, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OK. I can't figure this out. It just started today. When I try to run the Heaven benchmark in DX11 it hard locks about 15 seconds in, every time I try, without fail. It will run perfect in DX9 and DX10 with no problems. I can also pass Vantage without fail. These are the things I've tried without success:

Uninstalled and reinstalled Unigine Heaven several times

Tried Catalyst 10.1, 10.2, 10.3. (Used driver sweeper each install)

Ran at stock and overclocked, with stock voltage, and with an extra bump (In 10.1). Afterburner voltage adjustment does not work in 10.2 and 10.3.

I am running running crossfire

So, any ideas? Anyone experience the same thing? Any help is greatly appreciated, as this is very frustrating. :banghead:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried to uninstall/install again or install on a different HDD and OS?

Paulieg says thanks.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Underclock the card.
    If the benchmark runs fine then, consider an RMA.

Paulieg says thanks.
  4. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    For some reason only XFX cards are having serious issues. I wonder why that is the case.

Paulieg says thanks.
  5. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I experienced this when trying some different bios settings and too low of a clock on the cpu. That benchmark is just touchy that way.

6. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Thing is, it was working yesterday, with the same settings.

Going to do that now...

Haven't done that, but this Win 7 install is less than a month old, and very stable, not to mention everything was fine yesterday when I ran it.

7. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm having problems with this too, ive started two identical threads. one on here, one on guru3d. Ive had a couple of replies on guru3d from people experiencing the same issue. All of which are running 5850 crossfire on amd systems so far...

Heres links to my threads if anyone can help

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=118638

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=318451

so far no ones really been able to help but its looking like a crossfire problem or somethings up with the unigine 2.0 bench.

Seems weird that it worked for you yesterday but not today, thats just whack.

Paulieg says thanks.
  8. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    At least I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm hoping it's strictly a software issue. I was looking at the guru3d thread, and considering I'm experiencing the exact same issue, the AMD chipset has nothing to do with it.

9. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah me too man, can you run in dx11 mode tessellation disabled? I found it was only when tessellation is enabled that the bench would freeze at the end of the first scene, or it'll make it to the beginning of the 4th scene and then freeze. All while having a custom fan profile keeping temps in check, and at completely stock settings.

However unigine 1.0 runs fine with tessellation enabled, it's only unigine 2.0 that plays up. So either 2.0 needs a crossfire profile, or its a unigine problem perhaps.

I've contacted unigine support, yet to hear back, plus ive sent this info through to the catalyst dev team.

10. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    It will be interesting to see how Unigine responds. I'm going to go run Heaven without tessellation enabled after I put my kids to bed.

11. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I suspect this new version has some bugs.

12. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Updated OP to show that I'm running crossfire.

Just ran 2.0 with Tessellation disabled, and it ran perfect. So, there has to be a tessellation glitch b/t 2.0 and Catalyst drivers. Hope they find a fix for this.

13. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    excellent paulieg, looks like we have the exact same problem, which is only occuring for 5850 crossfire users. Yet some 5850 crossfire users are having no issues at all with this bench....??...so either ati drivers are at fault, or unigine im guessing?

14. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it's definately some conflict b/t 5850 crossfire and Tesselation in Unigine. Please post any information that you receive back from ATI and Unigine.

15. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    So far I haven't heard a word from either party. :( cmon guys lets fix this shyte!

16. computertechy

computertechy New Member

Thanks Received:
    i could not get my 5970 to work at all until i updated my X-fi drivers and then switched to game mode.

would work in DX 9/10 @ any setting, but not 11.

try your sound drivers matey, or removing your sound card, fixed it for me :p

ALSO: http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

scroll down to known issues.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Paulieg says thanks.
  17. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had this problem before, with Windows 7 (Heaven DX11 worked...then didn't work with no discernable changes to PC).

I you go into dxdiag, and under the DISPLAY tab you find that it is showing your DX version as being Dx10.1, then there is a hotfix that you can download from microsoft to remedy this. After you have done this, you will then have to reinstall your ATI driver.

Worked for me.

(google 'Microsoft DX11 bug dxdiag'....would find you link but am on gf slow wireless laptop)

Paulieg says thanks.
  18. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a crossfire issue, if I disable CAT ai the bench runs fine, if I enable cat ai, whether its standard or advanced...bang, crashes mid way down the path in the first scene.

Unigine got back to me and asked me to send "log.html" to them, so maybe this file holds the information we need.

Also, still no word from ati customer care, they may need a few days to replicate this problem.

Also, dx11 works in dirt 2 and heaven 1.0 with tessellation, just not in 2.0 for me

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  19. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey well ive had a response from both unigine and ati...not great replies but replies none the less.

Unigine :
    They firstly replied asking for log.html and send back to them after one of these freezes occur, so i applied the file and replied.

the response i got was this :

Hi Josh,In this case it definitely driver issue. We'll inform ati driver development team about this problem.

Ok so its ati drivers....So i went to ATI customer care and wrote a novel about firstly the unigine problem and secondly the random game freezes after 20-30mins of gameplay ive been experiencing.

this is the reply :

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200297874]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the response. Our software engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a solution. Thank you for your feedback.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

So yeah, this is where its at so far. They are aware of it and working on it...Im about to try the new 10.3 Open gl driver which came out on the 29th march to see if they help but im not too enthusiastic as of yet lol...

Just thought i'd keep you guys up to date.