• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't "Scan To" from printer. Please help!

Processor Intel Core i7 5930K
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme [BIOS 1502]
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum - 32GB (4x8GB) @ 2666Mhz C15
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Storage Samsung SM951 M.2 512GB
Display(s) ASUS RoG PG278Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Sound
Power Supply Corsair AX1500i
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Logitech G19 v1
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
The scenenario is the following:

We have multiple subnets in our network. One of them is the security one which is 10.224.2.xxx

Computer A is connected directly into it. Ethernet cable comes out of the wall and goes into her Intel NIC.

Computer B is also connected directly into it. However, ethernet cable comes out of the wall, goes into a dock and then through the USB cable, gets internet.

Computer C is connected to our wireless security network which is 10.224.4.xxx
This computer is allowed on the firewall to talk to 10.224.2.xxx

All three computer have Webroot SecureAnywhere installed. The printer is an EPSON Workforce WF-4640. IP is 10.224.2.122 / 255.255.254.0 / 10.224.2.1 gateway / no iPV6 / 192.168.50.18 & .19 are DNS's. Printer has static IP.

I proceeded to install the drivers on all three computers. Here is where the problem comes.

Computer A installs just fine. Finds the printer on the subnet and completes installation. I can print and scan FROM the computer. I can also scan FROM the printer. When I go to "Document Capture Pro", I can see scan to: COMPUTER A on the list.

Computer B also installs just fine. Finds the printer and completes the installation. I can print and scan FROM the computer, but I cannot scan FROM the printer. It just wont list COMPUTER B at all!. I tried plugging the ethernet cable directly into the laptop, but still, the printer will not show computer B in the scan to list.

Computer C the same story, but worse. I cannot finish the installation properly because it will not find the printer. It is obviously on a different subnet, but it will not let me type in the address so I just cancel the printer finder part. I manually go to control panel and adjust the IP parameters. Same thing, I can print and scan from the computer but cannot scan FROM the printer. It will not list Computer C in the list.

I have tripled checked the EPSON Scan software on each PC. Each has the IP parameters set properly. I have spent days installing and reinstalling drivers, but no luck. Printer has updated firmware. I tried disabling Windows firewall, nothing.
At first I wanted to think it was Webroot, since there is a review on Amazon from a guy that had the same problem, but using Norton. However, how come Computer A works just fine?
When I though it was the dock, I quickly found out it was not as explained in Computer B when I plugged it directly.

At this point, Im running out of ideas. Im not even sure where else to go.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
To me it sounds like a network routing issue...I'm assuming that A and B are on the .2.xxx/23 subnet correct?

What I'm wondering is why you don't have a server hosting the printer and if it is an advanced enough scanner to allow network scan services from a hosted utility. Then if all 3 workstations can see the server acting as the print server, access it from there. You could also create a shared folder on the server where they can access scans...with some Ricoh systems we'll do that and give each user their own folder on the server. That way less work-critical data is on any worker's PC, less risk of loss and exposure initially. Depending on your office's best practice measures this could be useful or useless.

Does your office already have a server utilizing the print server role already deployed? If not it might be a good time to...much easier to manage and when you only have one place to diagnose connectivity issues such as this, it can make life easier. Traversing subnets definitely adds complications, but everything being within the /23 scope of your subnet, you should be fine here I'd imagine. Though without knowing more I can only assume.

I really doubt Webroot is blocking this, I haven't had an issue yet with network printing caused by Webroot in the 2 years I've had to deploy it...so I think you're okay there...though it is easy enough to disable or create and deploy a custom "lite" policy to verify if that's the case if you have access to the cloud console.

With most printers you must add the workstation to the Scan-To list...you don't explain clearly if you did this for A, B or C. I see that A is on there...and you say B is not and C can't even get that far.

Can you ping the printer from C? Or access its web console (printer's IP address...should have web management console at that address).

I'm assuming you might have some ACL;s in-place or even missing that might be blocking some communication...if you can't ping or access the web GUI, then the firewall or something is blocking/preventing C from making communication. If C can't access 2.122, then verify that it actually has an ACL or authorization to access the .2.xxx section of your subnet...sounds like it might not be.

I would verify you are able to manage the printer via the Web GUI, and that you're adding the correct Scan-To locations if there is an option there. I work more with HP's, Ricoh's, Sharp's, and Brother's...I like Epson though...and am hopeful you can get it sorted.

Processor Intel Core i7 5930K
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme [BIOS 1502]
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum - 32GB (4x8GB) @ 2666Mhz C15
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Storage Samsung SM951 M.2 512GB
Display(s) ASUS RoG PG278Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Sound
Power Supply Corsair AX1500i
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Logitech G19 v1
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
To me it sounds like a network routing issue...I'm assuming that A and B are on the .2.xxx/23 subnet correct?

What I'm wondering is why you don't have a server hosting the printer and if it is an advanced enough scanner to allow network scan services from a hosted utility. Then if all 3 workstations can see the server acting as the print server, access it from there. You could also create a shared folder on the server where they can access scans...with some Ricoh systems we'll do that and give each user their own folder on the server. That way less work-critical data is on any worker's PC, less risk of loss and exposure initially. Depending on your office's best practice measures this could be useful or useless.

Does your office already have a server utilizing the print server role already deployed? If not it might be a good time to...much easier to manage and when you only have one place to diagnose connectivity issues such as this, it can make life easier. Traversing subnets definitely adds complications, but everything being within the /23 scope of your subnet, you should be fine here I'd imagine. Though without knowing more I can only assume.

I really doubt Webroot is blocking this, I haven't had an issue yet with network printing caused by Webroot in the 2 years I've had to deploy it...so I think you're okay there...though it is easy enough to disable or create and deploy a custom "lite" policy to verify if that's the case if you have access to the cloud console.

With most printers you must add the workstation to the Scan-To list...you don't explain clearly if you did this for A, B or C. I see that A is on there...and you say B is not and C can't even get that far.

Can you ping the printer from C? Or access its web console (printer's IP address...should have web management console at that address).

I'm assuming you might have some ACL;s in-place or even missing that might be blocking some communication...if you can't ping or access the web GUI, then the firewall or something is blocking/preventing C from making communication. If C can't access 2.122, then verify that it actually has an ACL or authorization to access the .2.xxx section of your subnet...sounds like it might not be.

I would verify you are able to manage the printer via the Web GUI, and that you're adding the correct Scan-To locations if there is an option there. I work more with HP's, Ricoh's, Sharp's, and Brother's...I like Epson though...and am hopeful you can get it sorted.

I'm assuming that A and B are on the .2.xxx/23 subnet correct

That Im not sure, I'm still getting to understand what the CIDR does and how it works.

That's a good idea. That way, the server could see every single machine and there would be no way it cannot see the computers regardless of which subnet they are on, correct?

May I ask, whats up with /23 CIDR that makes you feel like it would work just fine?

In the printer, I click on Scan->Document Capture Pro (a software that installs with the EPSON drivers)->Select Computers->Computer X

So far, I have gotten it to show Computer A, but B or C will not show up no matter what I do. Yes, I can ping the printer from B and from C. Yes, I can access the consoles from both as well.

My next plan is to bring a fresh computer with no Webroot to make sure it is not blocking anything. However, I doubt it is.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
That Im not sure, I'm still getting to understand what the CIDR does and how it works.

Well look up a subnet calculator, doing what you're doing and getting in there and experiencing it and having resources is a good way to learn! :)

255.255.254.0 = /23.

What the subnet mask tells you is generally what the range of its subnet, i.e. how many hosts you can provide addresses to.

That's a good idea. That way, the server could see every single machine and there would be no way it cannot see the computers regardless of which subnet they are on, correct?

Depending on how you have routes setup to that server, VLAN's, etc, if it has access and controls the printer, all your workstations really need is access to the server. It's a good way to maintain control, especially in a business environment where you might already be using directory services, adding print server services is usually a very easy thing to do. Centralized control of company printing resources makes management and deployments easier overall. Print server services are lightweight and easy to use and manage, plus you can deploy GPO's and deploy printers as AD items too when doing this through Windows Server, makes it too easy. :)

May I ask, whats up with /23 CIDR that makes you feel like it would work just fine?

The scope of your /23 subnet seems to include the .2.0 to .3.254 (edit) address range allowing for a total of 512 addresses, where a standard Class-C /24 notation would allow for 256 addresses. At least that's what I'm gaining from what I've read above. I could be off on what your network design is..

In the printer, I click on Scan->Document Capture Pro (a software that installs with the EPSON drivers)->Select Computers->Computer X

So far, I have gotten it to show Computer A, but B or C will not show up no matter what I do. Yes, I can ping the printer from B and from C. Yes, I can access the consoles from both as well.

What I'm asking is how are you adding workstations to this list? Many printers you need to manually do this...I can see the first acting as the primary device connected to the printer being listed...but many printers need you to manually add workstations by network names (if support Netbios), IP address. UNC path (\\workstation), etc.

My next plan is to bring a fresh computer with no Webroot to make sure it is not blocking anything. However, I doubt it is.

Do you have access to the Webroot Management Console? If so why waste your time doing this when you can simply disable the agent or create a quick and simple policy that disables everything for testing? I suppose you could deploy a new PC to the network if you don't have access or aren't familiar with the WRMC, but it's pretty easy to use and I'd recommend you stick to the PC's you are dealing with if you doubt a service on them, simply disable it for now...granted you can't disable WRSA, but you can delete it from its host folder if you're logged in as admin. But it is best to apply a disable agent or a policy that disables most features from the cloud console.

Last edited: