1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't share printer—getting error message

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hat, Apr 2, 2010.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I can't seem to share my printer. I tick the share this printer box, and when I click on apply, I get an error message saying "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006d9).

It's a Lexmark Z1300....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    try reinstalling the printer
    hat says thanks.
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Ok, did that... still got the same stupid message.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    try empty all temp's folders, firewall it's important thing so just checkout firewall setting maybe it block shearing, don't forget the anti virus it's also have firewall
    hat says thanks.
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer:laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.
    hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, no offense, but you do have file and printer sharing turned on for the network connection?
    hat says thanks.
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, me too, odd that it actually creates this stupid issue...
    hat says thanks.
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm one step closer... I was able to add the printer to the other computer, but it says the RPC server is unavailable when I go to print...

I enabled the service on the other pc (still turned off in windows), rebooted, and got it to print...

newtekie, are you some kind of network administrator or something? It seems like every time I have an issue with a network, you end up being the one to solve it... o_O
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'm going to take this one step further... I moved the printer to my server (thoroughbred) and it will handle the printing from now on. Now I won't have printer drivers on my gaming machine...

I'm a bit worried about sharing it between a 32-bit xp system and a 64-bit 7 system, though
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Not working... I see the printer, but when I go to add it, I get this messge: "Windows could not connect to the printer (error 0x0000000d)."

I installed the 32-bit drivers for it and printed something out from the pc the printer is connected to, and I went to the additional drivers page and added drivers for 64-bit, and when I went to add the printer on the other machine, it copied drivers over, but after that I got the error message listed above...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Actually, my business card does say "Senior Network Engineer":laugh:, but that is only part of what I actually do, we are a full computer shop handling anything from basic computer setup to corporate networking to custom builds.

The error is definitely a problem with the 64/32 bit drivers conflicting, it is a real pain in the ass especially with Lexmark printers. With HP printers, you can just use a net use command to map the network printer to the LPT1 port and then install the printer as a local printer. However, Lexmark usually doesn't allow this with their printers, the drivers are coded in a way that won't allow them to be installed on an LPT port if the printer is supposed to be USB.

You can try removing the lexmark driver from the XP additional driver section, then try connecting to the printer again. It should ask you for the proper driver. You should be able to extract the lexmark driver somewhere on the 64-bit machine, and point to that location when asked. Also, if this is successful, you will probably have to go into both the XP and the Win7 machine's printer properties, go to the advanced tab, and change the print processor to WinPrint with datatype being RAW.
  13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I can't remove the drivers from the additional driver section. There's a checkbox next to the drivers, but it's greyed out... I can't change it. After that, I reinstalled the drivers, yet it still says that those x64 drivers are installed...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The x86 drivers should be greyed out, you can leave those, but just make sure x64 isn't checked.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The x64 drivers are geryed out too... that's what I meant
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm...try unplugging the network cable and rebooting the machine. It might not let you uncheck the driver if another machine is attempting to use them on the network.

It says they are installed on the right side though?
  17. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    yep, says they're installed.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    You haven't disabled the print spooler service by chance?
  19. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    nope, print spooler isn't disabled.

I've decided to pull the plug on this operation. The whole idea was to make it so I didn't have to have drivers on my gaming pc, but apparantly, that's impossible... (unless every pc is using the same os, apparantly) so the whole reason I was doing this is pretty much invalid. It seems that if I was super ultra serious about doing this, I would have to upgrade the athlon 2200 to a 64 bit system so I could run 64-bit windows 7 on it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Even still, you still load the printer drivers on any machine that is connected to the printer through the network, so yeah, there is no real point. They reside on the print server, but when you connect to the server and install the printer, the drivers are transferred from the server onto the machine and installed.