1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't take the heat!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Ejjman1, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    After getting water cooling, I was expecting decent temperatures with my i7. At stock, they run around 30C, which is what I consider good, and 50C load, which I consider amazing.

But when I had it overclocked to 4.2 Ghz, I couldn't get my memory stable until I had a high voltage, and my temps under load were getting up to 75C, and 40C idle. Maybe these temps are not very high, but I'm not sure. I haven't got a firm answer from anybody.

Anyway, I think running the risk of being that high is ridiculous.

So, my question is...

Should I just crunch/fold @ stock (2.66 Ghz), never going above 50C, or is the heat not that bad sitting at 40C idle/75C load with overclock (4.00 Ghz)?

Thanks!
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    75 is way too high for water cooling - 40 is too high idle for WC as well.

i don't have it , but from what i've heard air in the lines can cause this. also general cooling make sure you cleaned the surfaces and applied fresh thermal paste evenly. too much is bad. too little is worse. make sure everything is tight and all that stuff.

after that, idk. but it doesn't sound right

i can run my i7 on air at 4 and not get over 60. i dont crunch on it yet but gaming, etc
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    75c load with your WC setup seems very high. What kind of vcore are you using?
    You may want to re-seat your block with new thermal paste. Also, how's the airflow in your case?
  4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I've crunched i7 chips underwater at over 90c for hours, then gone back to using the chip like normal with no major performance losses, heck none that I can remember ever noticing. So 75c definitely isn't bad. Depending on what kind of budget you have, and noise tolerance, might consider throwing some better fans on the RAD. What fans are you running by the way? As for bubbles, make sure the res is positioned higher than the pump, I think that should help. I've known a well know person on TPU to not use TIM at all and get extreme overclocks, I personally have always used some, and most would agree that using it is better.
  5. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good, you questioned what I was questioning..Haha.

@digibucc: I bled the system all the way, there is no air left in it.

I used the paste that came with the Apogee XT, and it seemed really...thick and white. The worst paste I've ever used. The only reason I did was because my AS5 was hiding under some papers :banghead:

So I have a feeling that this paste is really poor. I also don't know if I applied this stuff right because it was so thick that it was trying as I spread it around.

I didn't want to take it off because then I have to drain the system, and it takes forever. But, if this sounds right, then I'll do it for sure.

My air flow goes up. I think that is proper.

I also see temps like this (72/70/69/67, 60/58/56/54, 50/49/48/46) so I believe that I don't have it properly screwed down, also.

Thanks!

@dark: I believe I have 3 Yate Loons, the Low Speed ones. Paulie can answer that, though.
  6. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Yea, if noise isn't a huge problem, get Med or Highs, or even some Scythe Slipstream 1900 RPM 110CFM fans, will easily drop those temps a few degrees. On that same loop I was running 2 rads, a 4x120mm with 4x yate loon meds, and a 2x120mm with 4 mismatched fans in push-pull. Eventually I swapped all the fans out for 3000RPM 133 CFM Ultra Kaze's and temps dropped 20C.
    Ejjman1 says thanks.
  7. Ejjman1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright.

So I'll try switching out the paste first, see where that goes. I don't know if I can setup a push/pull in my case very easily, but if anything I could up the fans since fans are cheap.

Thanks