1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Car Maintenance question

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by kwchang007, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'm getting my license in like a month and I'm going to get my mom's 2000 mercury mystique (v6, auto). It has like 104 k right now, but they weren't driven hard...at all. Anyways, what kind of maintenance am I looking at? Accessory belt, water pump....timing chains?

2. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just change the oil when needed and learn the way it drives. then when you feel it or hear it sounding or driving diffrent you find the source of the problem. you shouldnt need to change anything at that mileage. also when troubleshooting or an engine light turns on go to auto zone and tell them your have an engine light on and you need the code. theyll put a computer in the ecu and it will tell them the code then theyll check it on there computers and tell you what it is thats wrong.

3. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I usually drive that car now, but it's like I'd rather do this stuff before it breaks. Because as I understand if like the water pump dies your in some deep shit, right?

4. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the problem is that there is no guarantee that the new pump won't die. Just make sure that you keep up with the maintenance that the manual tells you to do at certain mileages. Also don't forget to check your tire air pressure. You can also have the car taken into any mechanic and they will do a full diagnostic for $40-$100 if you're worried.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The maintenence schedule is in the cars manual. Follow it.;)

6. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    What Corrosion said. Plus don't forget the basics. Keep an eye on the brakes, tyres. Keep the plugs clean. Check your fluids regularly including the trans fluid. As for replacing belts and chains, that would also depend on whether they have been replaced before. Chain should have plenty of miles left in it. If the water pump dies basically it'll just overheat and as long as you stop the car no real harm will be done. But you won't be able to drive anywhere. Same with the accessory belt, car will survive if it gives out.

7. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    loll after 100 k i think it says go back to the beginning....cheap asses

8. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no thats what gagues are for, you will know your water pump just went out, for one an idiot light will turn on for check engine as the sensor will know it failed and two your engine tempurture will rise. And there is no guarantee a new one will last 10 miles, just if it breaks that soon they will replace it for you. Drive it till something goes wrong, replacing parts on it such as this without there being an issue is nuts.

To be on the safe side take it to your local auto shop and have them give it a tune up if your concerned.

9. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Usually, most timing belt should be changed every 100,000Km (60,000M). If you change it, you must change the water pump + belt at the same time(easier this way).

I suggest changing the transmission oil too followed by a normal tune up.

10. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Do the tuneup yourself it's not hard stuff if you get a shop manual. The sooner you learn to do these things yourself the more money you'll save over the time you own the vehicle. Unless you would rather just pay someone to do it for you, in that case just find a trustworthy shop.

1. Oil Change
    2. Oil Filter
    3. Fuel Filter
    4. Air Filter
    5. New Spark Plugs and maybe plug wires too if they're old
    6. Flush the power steering Fluid to prevent the pump from wearing out early
    7. Check Transmission Fluid
    8. Check brake Fluid
    9. Flush the coolant system and put in new coolant.

You don't have to do it all at once either because it can be time consuming the first time since you have to teach yourself where everything is on your car and the types of parts it uses. I just finished doing all except #9 to my car, but I spread it out over three weeks.

11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright thanks you guys. Just a question, is the water pump run off an accessory belt or off the timing chains?

12. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    it all depends on the vehicle... give me a minute and I'll look it up for you on mitchell

kwchang007 says thanks.
  13. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    From what I see they are both drive belt driven... 3.0 LS or 3.0 GS... Eighth VIN number being an S or a U... I would need a little more information to get you ALL the info you need though... Cause it looks like one has 2 belts and the other has one...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  14. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    3.0? The mystique only came in 2.0 L and 2.5 L variants. One is a 4 cyl 2.0 L zetec (I think) and my mom's is a 2.5 L duratec. She has the LS if that's what you need to know?

15. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    that's what I was thinking too, mitchell on demand is kinda weird at times... links a bunch of crap together. I'll look at the 2.5 motor and see

16. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    2.5 shows removal of drive belt and 6 bolts to a housing, so definately belt driven... and no need to replace it till it starts leaking. (any good shop -tech- will notice it on an oil change) Only thing you really have to worry about it that car is the dash coming up, and the transmission slipping. if you ever have any issues and need advice just drop me a PM... I'll point you in the right direction. And if someone tells you that you need something and think it's BS, ask I'll let you know :toast:

kwchang007 says thanks.
  17. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cooll, and transmission slipping, you mean like if you're moving and it does really work right, right? Not like a little bit of no power when you hit the accelerator cause of the torque converter? Or is that what your talking about?

18. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if tranny is slipping you'll know about it