1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Car performance chips

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by magibeg, Dec 6, 2008.

1. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    So I'm browsing eBay seeing all these chips with insane claims like +100hp and such and i have to ask, do they do anything at all? I imagine they could modify the air to fuel mixture and possibly get a little more power at the expense of mpg. Just curious if they're sort of a cookie cutter chip that is actually capable of anything good.
  2. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the vehicle, for the most part no you wont see that big of an increase.

Custom tunes will yeild alot more, and you should be able to get them for pretty cheap (under $500) i tune my summer car and its making alot more power now... mind you iv done some work to it as well. also increased the fuel economy by 5-9MPG.
    magibeg says thanks.
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Just "chipping" a car without making other modifications will NOT make a big impact on performance. Yes, a little, but not much. Sometimes however it can "upgrade" a car series to the next version up, but same engine size. However, do the other components in the car match up with the increased power? Like gearbox, brakes, intake, injection, exhaust system etc. Probably not. The "economy" version of the car compromised on components to attract a buyer at a different price point and performance expectations.

UNLESS

You already have a performance engine that is detuned. And you essentially remove the detuning of the engine.

Case in point: I have a CL600 5.5L. The engine is seriously detuned. BUT, if you chip it, there is so much torque you will damage the drivetrain.

There is good reason why the "performance" versions of sports cars have a different set up. Take a look at the Porsche 911 (regular) vs. the GT3. Same engine. Completely different performance. What do you want to drive on the road? Regular 911. If you ARE a track driver, then you want the GT3. But put that on the road and it is dangerous.

NONETHELESS

If you want 5% extra race feel then chip it. But TBH you will have more fun with performance components and proper garage tuning. And even more fun "upgrading" to a proper sportscar.
    magibeg says thanks.
  4. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Well i just purchased a cold air intake for my 2000 alero 3.4L to try and get just a little bit more pep out of it. I've heard about these chips for a while and they're only like $30 but what scares me the most is the insane claims they seem to make. If they were a little more honest and said like possible 2-5% performance increase i might be more likely to believe them.

So with a cold air intake would it be worth my time getting a new chip or will the stock PCM automatically compensate for the additional amount of air?
  5. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    chips that gain 100 hp, are for like supercharged cars... A chip on an alero would be a waste... would gain maybe 10-15 hp at the expense of a few mpg
    magibeg says thanks.
  6. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Actually 10-15hp sounds pretty good considering the cost of the upgrade depending on the hit for mpg. Not after a 500whp killing machine so much as a car thats just a little bit special.
  7. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    That cold air intake wont be adding any real additional air. same ammount of air its just denser because its a bit cooler... For the most part cold air intakes are a waste IMO, i wouldent bother with those ebay chips unless they are from a NAME brand. As the potential to kill your motor is HUGE.
    magibeg says thanks.
  8. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of those "chips" are in fact just resistors which trick your car into thinking that it's running much cooler than it really is. The result is massive amounts of fuel getting pumped into the engine and really rich operation. You lose many mpg and gain perhaps 4 hp.

They do have upgrade chips that replace your stock ecu. These can be programmed to tune your engine to run at 91-93 octane efficiently and can allow for modifications.
    magibeg says thanks.
  9. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    If the air is denser wouldn't that equal a greater amount of air in the cylinders? Even if it is only a slight gain it only cost $70 with shipping and tax which about what it would cost for me to go to a local store and buy a K&N air filter by itself. Seemed like a good choice.
  10. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    You will get about 5-6 hp from a pop intake, but you do increase the risk of hydrolocking your car and destroying your engine if you do not install the filter correctly (due to dust particles getting in). I would invest in upgrades that are more beneficial without any draw-backs (new exhaust, etc.).
    magibeg says thanks.
  11. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Custom tune is best
  12. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's ok! My stock 3400 was a V6 Mustang killer! :toast: Could hold it's own against auto trans GTs as well!
  13. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the chip. I frequented a site that could tune the PCM for gas mileage or hp/torque according to what you want it to do. I really need to send mine in for my Trailblazer; lots of users report 6-9 mpg increases.
  14. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Haha yea mine is too, but i always want a little bit more. So if i ever encounter a car just like mine i'd be a little bit faster ;)

Any idea where that site would be? I don't really trust the PCM's off ebay and i don't think i'd be prepared to pay several hundred dollars for a custom tune at this point.
  15. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Chips are, generally, a waste of time, imo. Depends on the car, though, and if it has a lot of mods done to it. Just chipping a stock 150hp car probably isn't going to do much of anything, and could even make things worse if the chip maker is a clown.

Chips can be a big deal not only on "heavily"-modified cars since things may be way out of whack without one, (but then you often need a custom chip for your specific car and its mods anyway), but a chip can also be good on some turbocharged cars that have the boost controlled electronically. The chip may do this or that, but it will also raise the boost if it's programmed to do so. Most cars you can just raise the boost manually if you want, though.

One of the biggest chip offenders I've seen is WRX guys. They pay some of these idiot chip makers $500+ per chip every time they do something as simple as change their muffler. It's ridiculous how much money people blow with some of the crap-ass "tuners" out there.

On various cars, a custom chip is just a different way of not having some other kind of ECU mod on it, which come in various shapes and sizes. A SAFC, for instance. When you start putting biggie injectors and turbos and things on, changing what the ECU sees can become mandatory. Getting a chip just for mods of exhaust and an intake or whatever, or even no mods at all, is often just a waste of time and money, imo. YMMV.

Oh yeah, and never put Slick50 in a car.

edit: I think it was "JET" years back that made chips that were found to be exact identical to the factory chip. At least on some cars. Another one was Superchips that sold you a chip for a turbo car along with a manual boost controller. "Guaranteed to give you x horsepower." Thing was, the chip was a factory one, and the extra horsepower just came from turning the boost up manually with the controller. Their response was, "We guaranteed x more horsepower with these mods, and you got x more horsepower, right?" Which is correct, just that the chip didn't do anything.

I don't know if either of those companies are still in business today, but this reminded me of those stories so just tossing them in.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  16. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    superchips is still very much in business as is Jet (pick up a summit or jegs catalog) and I agree chips on anything other than a heavily modified car is pointless. You don't need 3-5 more horsepower... never going to notice it... take your spare tire out... will give you the same effect, and it's free
  17. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    They only do GM vehicles and their mpg increase given is very conservative given that they'd have to back it up if they claimed more.

Info....

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=43984
  18. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    They actually work by doing a few things.

Leaning out your mixture, all modern cars use a overrich mixture to lower combustion temperatures, as well as provide left over fuel to allow the catalytic converter to heat up sooner and run hotter and break down more exhaust gasses.

Changing your timing, the timing curve on most cars only allow for a very minor amount of "knock" during heavy acceleration, so little for most that you don't even hear it. By adjusting the curve and forcing you to use premium fuel you gain a few HP, and a few more Ft Lb of torque.

Changing your EGR (Exhaust Gas Rebreather) system to remain closed at full throttle. Cars use some exhaust recirculation or rebreathing to also lower the combustin temperature and control detonation, as well as warming the incoming air to help vaporise the fuel. By closing the valve at full throttle when the engine is warm you have enough heat transferring to the incoming air to evaporate the full completely and with a clean charge of fuel and air it makes a few more HP.

Some chips do this by altering data sent to the EMU, such as engine temperature, oxygen sensor readings, incoming air temperature, mass air flow sensor readings and timings. Others actually have programmed settings that override the EMU and or replace the software in the EMU. the latter are more expensive but tend to work better and pose less of a threat to the safety and durability of the engine.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  19. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    One other option is a piggyback unit, allows you to controll the timing and other items, a dyno is required to make the most of it however.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    CAI on some cars are far from a waste. On mine with a tune added damn near 35hp. I agree a good tune is imperative but its useless if the engine is suffocating.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Did the GT know you were "racing" him? I get guys all the time come up to me revving the engine and such and take off. Problem is I don't care. I sometimes wonder if they go off and tell thier friends "Damn yo! I just F'ing smoked a Mustang GT Bee." Also did you know there are 12 and 11 second auto GT's out there that are not supercharged. :rockout:
  22. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was my friend, it was stock, and it was really unimpressive.

However, the GM V8 counterpart, the Camaros, smoked me everytime, IrocZs, Z28s, SSs.
  23. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well in jamaica we get JDM cars mostly ... tuning device of choice on the cheaper models is Hondata/Chrome on hondas or S-AFC, Toyoytas (AFC is a waste of time on toyotas, ecu figures out it is being told crap) Emanage or EMUltimate, Nissans Jimwolf calum realtime or AFC (dumb nissan ecu's) Evos and STi's Use ECUtek or other flashes. A few ppl run Motec, AEM, Haltec Autronic .... One and two run MegaSquirt and Spark
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I can believe that if its one of the old 5.0s or early an 4.6. auto but there is no was it was one of the newer ones.

Much respect to you guys being able to track all that stuff on rice burners. I cant barely track the domestic stuff. When you guys start talking tuning imports its like greek to me.