1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Car stereo and 12v Battery Straight up

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by swistak92, Nov 1, 2010.

1. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know this is more of a computer like forum.. but I still think you guys will be able to help me out :D

Basically I wanna make a pretty cool project - A wooden box with 12v battery, car stereo, and 2 car speakers in it... reason for making it, is that every time we go to the beach etc we have no music and this would do the job pretty nice :D

So my question is ... can the stereo and hooked up straight to the batteries or is there something else needed, an inverter, fuses or something?

Thanks in advance
    P.S Ill make sure to log this too with some pics ;)
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Car stereo uses 12v DC, so no inverter needed. You should be able to get away without a fuse from the battery to the stereo as long as there is a fuse in the actual stereo (very slim chance for a short in a small wooden box).

The issue you will run into is practicality. A full sized car battery is going to give you the longest reserve capacity which means longer music playing between recharges, but they are extremely heavy, then there is the recharge time. If you are going to be running the battery down constantly you will want to get a deep cycle battery which is more expensive too.

Seems like a fun thing to try, but in the end I don't think it will work well. I actually saw something like this on Youtube posted on another forum. The guy had the entire setup on a rolling cart with 2 car batteries, 2 subwoofers, and a couple coaxials. It was a mess.
    streetfighter 2 and swistak92 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes the weight is gonna be a bugger ... but I guess Ill manage :p
    Its gonna be a full size battery ... and i actually happen to have a spare one since I needed one for my car, but in the end I didn't...
    Ye the battery is probably gonna wear off pretty quick coz of the recharges, however its only gonna be used when going out... weekends etc so shouldn't die that quickly.

I even thought of adding a solar panel, but that costs a bit and atm Im saving up for 6k series cards

and thanks for all the other info, much appreciated
  4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This. Car batteries are made for unloading a lot of current quickly, not for continuous light loads.

You can still do it, but please remember to be careful because you're dealing with a car battery. Take every precaution!

This video about using a car battery in a UPS has lots of info about safe handling (also why car batteries are sub-optimal for your needs):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5H8m1isFy4
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't be too bad of a build with a couple 5.25 or 6.5 coaxials, the headunit, and the battery. You could probably make it look good with some time.

The best battery for the job would be a sealed absorbent glass mat (AGM) like the Optima Yellow Top or an Orbital Exide (my personal preference). No gasses expelled, no liquids that can leak, and they withstand constant discharging for car audio. Ive had my Exide AGM for 3 years now and it still solid as a rock.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hell if you wanna get fancy, you should make it with a cord that connects into the 12V connector in a car, so you can recharge it easily on the way there.
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    This. Make a contraption to charge it in the car. Have the lot on wheels. Sorted :D
  9. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I've actually already done this but using some of the batteries from a rack mountable APC UPS. I bought one of the low end Sony head units with the USB ports and a two channel amp inside the box too. Overall weight about 60 lbs. (about 27 kg) I don't really play any CD's on it since it has the USB port and since they tend to skip because it hits too hard and low, especially with the speakers and stereo attached to the same wooden face.

I'll post up some pics later if you want any ideas.
    Mussels and scaminatrix say thanks.
  10. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get yourself one of these and drag that setup anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    cadaveca says thanks.