1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Card Fan Down, Requesting Medic, Over.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by FierceRed, Apr 17, 2012.

1. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    Ok so this sucks.

I turn on my computer today and apparently the fan bearing for my reference model 5850 has gone to shit and I have very loud noise now coming from it every time it even remotely thinks about spinning.

I've had this issue before with a HIS x1950 AGP, and my solution was to buy an entirely new motherboard with PCIe and move on with life. You know, when we were all rolling in pre-2008 money. Now in 2012 AWS (After Wall Street) I can't exactly do that right now. I'm limping on my remaining 5850 currently but now playing anything is depressing and comes with FPS withdrawal symptoms.

Am I screwed? Is a fan bearing repairable or replaceable? Short of buying a similar card for parts off eBay, is there anything I can do for this?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The fans are replaceable. They are mounted using three screws. I may have a fan laying around from my old 5850's. I'll shoot you a PM. :)

3. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    You can get a replacement fan for about $15 on ebay, I purchased one the other day just as a backup since the fan in my ref 5850 makes noise from a cold boot sometimes.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    Thanks erocker, I look forward to the results of your search.

Mind giving me a link to the auction you won? Just so I can know what sort of search parameters I need to deal with.

Cheers to you both.

5. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Here you go buddy.

FierceRed says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Edward.

"Location: China"
    "Location: USA"

:laugh:

7. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I ordered one and it said it'd be here in like 20 days with the cheap shipping, which doesn't matter since mine's not completely dead.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:

You know, since I'm going to be replacing the fan anyway, perhaps it would be better to just replace the reference blower assembly in general, slap on a 3rd party fan and convert the card into a much quieter version of itself. My non-reference model 5850 runs cooler/quieter/et cetera and I've noticed the reference blower making a bit too much noise during say, Civ5 zoomed in viewing or Witcher 2 forestry scenes.

What are my options in this arena? I'm sure I'm capable of the physical replacing of the part, I just don't know whether I should be staying away from certain fans due to length or lopsided screwhole arrangement or something. So imagine you're me and you have a 5850 reference model card that you want to make as quiet and cool as possible. What do you do?

While a little random, a quick question has been gnawing at me.

I understand that USB3 is backward compatible with USB2 devices, however I primarily bought a Cooler Master Storm Sniper case because it was the only tool-less case at the time with 4 USB ports on its front panel. If I buy a motherboard with USB3 in the future, would a simple connection of these ports to my front panel be enough for full USB3 operation? (Hell, this assumes a motherboard even has USB3 lines to connect to, rather than just the ports on the back...)

I guess what I'm asking is, is the chipset's ability to use USB3 speeds enough for the tech to work, or does the cable connection and port's device contacts between the motherboard pins and a device like an External HDD, have to be rated or certified to provide those speeds?

I seem to have stripped one of the tiny screws on the X-Bracket of the 5850 with the broken fan in the past, as I just found it now while attempting to strip down the card. I can upload a picture if necessary, but imageshack apparently needs an account to use it now and I'm allergic to signups.

Anyone know a good way to remove a stripped screw of such a small size from such a sensitive area?

9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Gelid Icy Vision, Zalmann or an AC Accellero cooler. :)

I do have the replacement fan, shoot me a PM if you still want it. It's yours.

FierceRed says thanks.
  10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    better if you do gaming much take after market cooler
    for uploading you can directly upload thru TPU, if the picture is too large you can crop it

FierceRed says thanks.
  11. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Nope, because, I believe that case you mention has USB 2.X connections. You can plug them into USB 3.0 connectors (may need adapter, as a lot of newer boards use the 19 pin header), but the will only operate at USB 2.X speeds.

As, you can see the Usb 2.X has a 4 pin + shell connector and USB 3.0 has the 4 pin + 5 more pins + shell.

The connectors are different, example of the connector differences from pinout.net:
    [​IMG]

If the motherboard you eventually obtain has a usb 3.0 header... it my be like this:
    [​IMG]

Now you can go to one of these to get the front panel USB 3.0 points you want.
    USB 3.0 bay hubs:

You may, also, need one of these(these come in different types and styles to meet individual demands), depending on the connection the device you use requires.

Also, you may need one of these to use the USB 3.0 connections on the MB with USB 2.0 on your case (they still will be USB 2.0 not USB 3.0, as the connections on the case would lack the extra pins USB 3.0).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically, you need USB 3.0 connections from point A to B for it to operate at the USB 3.0 speeds and power specification.

Hope that helped.
    :)

FierceRed says thanks.
  12. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    Cheers mate. PM'd.

Right, forgot about that as I rarely attach files while on a forum. Anyway, here it is, my stripped screw.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this? I'm still looking for help on small stripped screw removal.

Jesus Christ, are you kidding Viper? That was amazingly helpful, especially considering what I quoted is all I was looking for.

Thanks for going above and beyond, my enlightenment appreciates it. :)

Attached Files:

13. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    Still looking for suggestions on how to remove the stripped screw from the X bracket on the back of my 5850. Picture is attached to previous post and screw in question is indicated with the red circle.

Won't be able to disassemble the reference cooler without help guys. Start sounding off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever had a stripped screw in a sensitive area.

Cheers!

14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you can go one of two routes...

Go to a hardware store and ask for easy-out's / screw extractors

Otherwise get out the Dremmel and carefully cut a groove in that screw for a straight slot screwdriver.

I seen in just a little bit of google-ing that you can try a rubber band between the driver and the stripped head, or even super glue-ing the driver into the screw might add enough "traction" to remove the screw.

FierceRed says thanks.
  15. Serg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Removing the screw shouldnt be too hard, go to a local home depot or orchard or ace, hell you can even rent this at your local autozone, its a socket kit, used to remove stripped screws, bolts and nuts. Mind that they are sockets with a swivel design on the inside, lol dont stick your finger in there, it hurts. Lol.

FierceRed says thanks.
  16. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Those are used to remove stripped bolts/nuts, not screws. Sneeky mentioned using Easy Outs, that would probably work the best.

FierceRed says thanks.
  17. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    EZ Grip

FierceRed says thanks.
  19. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the fan is pretty much too loud to use without repairing/replacing it, so I may give this a shot.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I think my next problem will be replacing the screw as I don't know if anyone sells screws this small. I have a Home Depot literally across the street though so won't hurt to ask around.

erocker, I have a quick question, please see PM.

20. Serg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure how small the screw is, but if you cant find anything relatively close, try an optometry, or RadioShack would also be fine, Frys electronics should have some too. Pretty much any PC repair store would have some and most will just give you the screw.

Good luck!