1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

case and psu advice appreciated

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by booma, Jan 3, 2013.

1. booma New Member

Thanks Received:
    gday, have just ordered a few bits and pieces for my prospective first pc build. The specs so far are;
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory
    G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage
    Seagate Momentus XT 750GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card
    EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card
    Optical Drive
    LG BH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Realise the specs could probably have been better however spent so long looking at different configs just had to make a decision. Will be a gaming/media pc. Any ideas on what chassis and psu to use?

Leaning towards the thermal take level 10 gt, which seems excessive but has great reviews, or In win Dragon rider is a cheaper option. No intention to o/c machine or to use water cooling. Should I get additional cpu cooling?

Thanks
  2. n3rdf1ght3r

n3rdf1ght3r

Thanks Received:
    I personally would choose the more expensive case just because you look at it almost everyday so it might as well look nice, and its it is alot easier to install things into your case when the case has a good build quality. A nice case also prevent you from getting alot of cuts when working on you computer, I have a In Win Griffin and I always got deep cuts whenever I worked on it. So I would go for the Level 10 gt. As for the power supply, I prefer Corsair or XFX power supplies, the CX series might be good if you're looking for a cheap but efficient and reliable power supply. I think 600W should be around the wattage you want. The stock cooler is also more than enough if you don't plan on overclocking although the Cooler Master Hyper 212 is a very good but reasonably priced CPU cooler if you prefer a more silent setup.
    booma says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    No need for cpu cooler if you are not going to OC.
    For case, I prefer Lian Li because of classic look, compact design and strong aluminum structure. PC-A05FN is small and efficient, unless you have plan for future upgrade, then go for PC-7H.
    booma says thanks.
  4. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    I really like compact cases that look a bit more classic too, so i'll recommend the Fractal Design Define R4... Take a look at it, see if you like.

Don't forget to choose a reliable PSU (Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, CoolerMaster, NZXT), to protect your investment properly. Nobody here likes to see hardware on fire (literally). 500~600W will be more than enough.

+1. Hyper 212 is probably the best option if you won't OC. And even if you do someday (i hope the OC bug will bite you =D), you can achieve good results...
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    lian li or Corsair Vengeance C70
  6. booma New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fractal Design R4

Thanks PatoRodrigues the R4 looks pretty good and good midrange option for the 2 I already have in mind
  7. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    No problem, man. We're here to help. Good to know it's a good option for you. :)