1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case Cutting

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Snake05, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this posted in general hardware as well, but I was wandering if anyone knew what would be the best cutting tool to use to cut a small hole out of the back metal sheeting of my case. am upgrading my psu from my stock Dell :ohwell: to a new Thermaltake 480w psu. The back of the case is rather thin metal. Dremel??:confused:

2. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    tht would be good but you have a high chance of scruing up try making a template so u will not scrue it up just use wood or something like that

3. Ramine New Member

Thanks Received:
    use a jigsaw with the finest teeth possible, that way its very clean cut, i did mine like that...

4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    I round hole? I woulds suggest hole saw for a drill, you can get them in many sizes.

-Dan

5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you are going for a circle hole, get a holesaw. no way you can get this precision with any other diy tool

alternatives to look into are nibbler (hand-version, great precision and helps your muscles :) use file/dremel afterwards to clean up the edges), jigsaw with metal blade (metal blade = fine teeth) and dremel

if you are working with a tool that can slip and scratch the surface (very easy with dremel), put some tape over the areas you are not going to work on

6. bb7_rider New Member

Thanks Received:
    the tape also to some extent stops the blade slipping, its not just to stop scratches (its pretty useless against a cutting wheel doing MINIMUM 10k RPM anyway ;) ) i just use a dremmel, my holes are dodgy as but they work, im not all about asthetics :) and most of the holes i cut are hidden anyway e.g under the very edge of the mobo to run the sata cables behind the tray to the hdds where i have another hole hidden beside the rack etc