1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case Fans in CM HAF X

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Bigpapa42, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Bigpapa42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm putting together my first build. I'm moving out of the planning stage to the components purchases. So far, I have a Cooler Master HAF X case and a 1000-watt power supply. They arrived this morning. The rest of the intended components are an Intel i5-2500K Sandy Bridge chip, ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF motherboard, 8 GB Ram, Radeon HD 6950 2GB card, and likely a CPU cooler, though I haven't settled on anything yet (won't need it until I get into overclocking, which won't be right off the start).

To try to make sure I'm familiar with everything and hopefully make the build as easy as possible, I've been reading all I can on the components I intend to use. Including reading the manuals online. Unfortunately, the CM manual is pretty sparse and that leaves me with some questions regarding the fans.

The HAF X case has four case fans - front, back, top, and side. The side one is optional but I figure the cooling can only help the video card. There is also a GPU air duct where a 150mm fan can also be installed, which I am considering. So along with with an aftermarket CPU cooler, that's six in total. Now if I'm understanding, the fans are connected to the mobo for power and control.

According to the manual for that motherboard, it has the following: a CPU fan connector (4-pin), 2 chassis fan connectors (1 4-pin and 1 3-pin), a power fan connector (3-pin), and an assistant fan connector (3-pin). Gonna guess here... The CPU fan connection would be for the cooler? Two of the case fans would connect to the chassis fans? I'm not sure if the power fan would be for the back one or the power supply? And the assistant fan is to add a small fan to the motherboard "TUF armor".

I'm somewhere between one and three connections short, dependent on whether I add the GPU duct fan. What would be the options to connect and control the remainder? Do they get connected direct to the power supply and simply run all the time? I was considering some type of fan controller panel for the front of the case - might that be a better option to control all the fans?

I figure this isn't the biggest issue but I just want to head off as many potential problems and headaches before I get going with it.

Any help is appreciated.