1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case fans

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Johnny5, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How should the case fans be set up? the front facing inward pushing air into the case, the back facing rear pushing the air out, and the side fan should be which direction?

2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally speaking, your front and side fans should be blowing air in, rear fans should be blowing air out.

3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    and tops out as well, you make more intake then exhaust generally if you extra fan slots,e tc.

4. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    the side fan was put there for one reason only, to blow fresh cool air directly onto the cpu and surrounding components. it should always blow in without exception.

you have 2 fans blowing in - the side fan and the front fan

you have 2 fans blowing out - the rear fan and the psu fan

the setup is correct, the only thing to remember is try to keep one fan blowing in for every fan blowing out. also the fans at the top are where the hot air is so they blow out and the other fans draw cooler air in to replace it.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    hmm if i put 140x140 fans on each other does that work?

6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    1 in and 1 out will work. both in or both out will work but only if you make sure there is an extra opening equal to both fans so the air can be drawn in or escape from those openings. never forget the psu needs air too so remember to add a 3"- 4" opening for it depending on psu fan size when you calculate air supply.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    i mean 1 on 1 in and in mount fan 1 on fan 2

8. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    no, it only cancels out the other fan so it still moves the same air as just one fan.

in the way you want to do it 1 fan + 1 fan on top of it = 1 fans output

the first fan gets the air moving at say 30cfm so the second fan is trying to get the air moving at 30cfm but it already is so the effect is like one fan is in neutral (spinning but moving no air) because the air is already going at the speed of that fan so it is not doing anything. 2 fans using the same hole cancel each other out and act as 1 fan and can only move the cfm of 1 fan.

9. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Next Question, I live in florida and its hot. Around 26c ambient temp. My new computer is going to be placed between a desk and a wall without much space in the back or on the sides. My case only fits 80mm fans in all the slots(Alienware case). What do you recommend I do to make sure my new build gets the best circulation and cooling?