1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case Lighting

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Bolkonsky, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Bolkonsky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi! I've been reading TPU for quite some time, figured I'd give the forums a shot. I'm trying to figure out a decent way to light my case. I've got a Corsair 300R Windowed, with a UD4H Z77, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC, Corsair CX600M, and H60, so my theme is kind of black with grey and green.

Anyways, my dilemma is that I'm a very subtle person when it comes to themes and I'm looking for some way to see the hardware that I shelled out a ton of money for, without just being drawn to the lighting. In other words, what I really want is ambient lighting that's not distracting, overpowering, or tacky. I'd go with a cathode but I keep hearing that they light on fire.

Anyways, suggestions would be welcome since I'm pretty new to this kind of thing. Here's a rather terrible picture I took with my phone as well, just to get an idea of the layout:
    [​IMG]
    (Excuse the crappy cables, I haven't finished routing them since I'm still kinda messing with the rig and want to get some grommets.)
    Thanks!

2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    MxPhenom 216 and Mindweaver say thanks.
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, those NZXT light kits are pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind throwing one in my case when I finish my next water cooling project.

Heres the green one at a retailer.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...CB-LED10-GR.html?id=gMzEYsyX&mv_pc=8207#blank

I also think the white version works with about all system color schemes.

4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    you just several steps away to have it clean
    just take your time coz cable management need more time, patience and more creativity

5. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. Bolkonsky New Member

Thanks Received:
    The white ones look like they'll do a good enough job, and not much risk if I don't like them. And thanks!

Yeah, I don't want the whole rig to turn a certain color, so I think I'm gonna try the white.

Yeah it's a work in progress, I'm ordering some rubber grommets for the cables, and since I'd need to unplug everything to put them in, it's kind of on hold until they arrive.

Just read it, that seems pretty straighforward. When I get everything finished I'll try for another picture and see how well I can make it come out. Thanks for the link!

I definitely like the look of the Bitfenix but I think I'm gonna try the NZXT first because of the adjustable brightness.

Thanks for the help everyone!

7. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    Since you don't have any brightly colored components in there I would bet white would look pretty cool.
    FrozenCPU has a bunch of really cool stuff that you could sift through: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g6/Lighting.html?id=XiJBoheP
    I also think that a spotlight like this or two could look really cool, pointed just above the video card or something
    here is what my computer looks like with blue lighting just to give you an idea of stuff.
    [​IMG]

8. Bolkonsky New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I got the NZXT sleeve, and if I screw it in, it shorts out. No screw it's fine, but with the controls on the back, it kind of needs to be screwed in.

I think I will try the spotlight instead.

9. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    That's a real drag:cry:

We have an NZXT rep on this site, XNine, I'd pm him with your troubles and I bet things get worked out.

10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    that or use a ziptie anchor and use zip ties.

[​IMG]

11. Bolkonsky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh cool, that's convenient. I'll shoot him a PM!

I've got it electrical taped for now, but that's a bit too ghetto for my tastes...it'll keep bugging me knowing that it's not perfect. If I can't figure anything else out, I guess I can find a plastic screw. Or maybe plastic dip the one Corsair provided.

12. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    Just as an FYI, I've been in contact with the OP and we'll be trying to resolve the issue.

MT Alex and stinger608 say thanks.
  13. Dave65

Dave65

Thanks Received: