1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case Material Aluminum or Steel

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by zaqwsx, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys what do you think is better Aluminum or Steel. I know that Aluminum is good for cooling but how good because I just go a Steel Thermaltake Armor and was wondering if I sould use it or sell it and get an aluminum one.
  2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Well I get aluminium because it's better for cooling...Lian-Li only do Aluminium cases...it's lighter....oh and Aluminium isn't magnetic :)
  3. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    Well Thermaltake dose aluminum too because my Tsunami Dream is aluminum but that best thing about them is their nicer finish.

Edit: Another good thing is that Steel dosn't dent as easy as Aluminum so they both have good and bad things.
  4. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    You generally find steel in cheaper cases.
  5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    if your air cooling the aluminum would help absorb and transfer internal heat to the outside of the case which in turn could help keep things in the case like the hdd cooler.

steel rusts and aluminum doesnt.

steel cases are a little cheaper and usually heavier than aluminum cases.

i think those are about the only differences that come to mind as far as choosing one or the other.
  6. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    aluminium is more expensive, not sure about cooling performances, but i think aluminium is a lot lighter too.
  7. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disagree with the aluminium is lighter thing.
    Generally steel cases (the cheaper end ones) are very thin.

Aluminium cases (such as mine) are generally thicker. Im not sure if thats to assist in noise, or to make the case more stable, but either way it adds alot of weight to the case.

Weight isnt something I worry about anyway though, since I dont go abroad to lan parties.
  8. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Thick aluminum cases are nice. But it seems that steel cases can have a more glossier/better paint job. I have seen some nice glossy paint jobs on aluminum, but not as smooth and clean looking as steel.
  9. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    yes aluminum cases usually have dull finish but thats done on purpose, not sure why, fingerprints maybe.

aluminum can have a mirror flat glossy finish too.
  10. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    yes it does have the effect of stronger and quieter cases.

a higher end steel case is thicker steel as well and they get pretty heavy too.

but overall i think your right, they probably are so close the weight doesnt matter.
  11. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, aluminium is usually powder coated.
    Though it comes in mill finish, anodize, alodine, powder coated.
  12. Nothgrin New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Thermaltake Armor itself is a gigantic case. With enough cooling inside and outside of the case you should not need to worry if your case is Steel or Aluminum. The case may rust because its steel but other than that the differences are minimul if you have enough airflow inside the case. Aluminum is less dense than steel so its not as good of a vibration transmitter(sound) as steel. So for noise and rust reasons you may want to switch but switching because it is steel would not be viable with enough airflow inside the case.
  13. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    I have been thinking about it and I might just sell my New Thermaltake Armor case. What do you guys think is a rsenoble price also keep in mind it is brand new and I just got today. I just opened it to make sure that it is in perfect condition and it is and then put it back. I guess Im going to get the Aluminum version. I think they have it in aluminum but its silver even though I realy want a black case but oh well.
  14. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why bother.

What do you possibly hope to gain?
  15. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    Well I bought a AMD FX-74 for $300 and got the case for free so I won't lose anything and the deal is over too. The AMD is going on ebay unless somone on tpu wants it.
  16. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    One good thing about a steel case is it does not vibrate/rattle as you may find in thin alum cases.. not sure if all steel cases dont have any rattle but thier more sturdy from what Ive read.

Aluminum is a better heat conductor.. but your not cooling your case passively so that wont matter much if you have good airflow, if at all really.

edit: keep the steel, Im sure its stronger.
  17. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    personally i prefer steel.

better for modding :pimp:
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  18. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    I know its stronger but im carefull with my stuff so im not worried (I have a aluminum Tsunami Dream and I took all the way to texas for quakecon and back and nver had a problem). What I really like is the finish on the aluminmum, thats what gets me.

Edit: I also don't do mods on really nice expensive cases. I only mod cheap ones.
  19. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    good thing about being stronger/sturdier to me is you wont have as much HD rattle, atm I have a thin alum case and I find it to noisy but than my hd's are a bit noisy anyway.. but I "think" my new case will help that since it uses 2mm alum for the drive bays elc.

I got a new case the one in my avatar, it uses thick aluminum and I have some matting on the way with other stuff to finish my project.. I hate noisy cases/systems! lol

but yeah if you reallly like the paint finish on the Alum Amour by all means go for it.. I didnt know it came in steel and/or Aluminum! I only seen it in Alum... I'd imagine it looks better trough the window in Alum too, if you have a windowed version.
  20. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well at first glance its a little misleading because aluminum is usually more expensive so if they are inexpensive ($30-$50) and close in price the aluminum is going to be thinner than the steel case to be able to sell it that cheap.

when you get to the $100 cases both will increase the thickness and is much more sturdy for both.
  21. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    I guess I might sell my case just to get the aluminum version. Btw do you guys think Red gose good with silver.
  22. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I personally like steel, because it does not dent as easily.
  23. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didnt think cases use really thin aluminum. I though there was like a standard for most cases of like what 1mm? I looked, my Lexa cases uses what seems to be 1mm, I dont think many cases offer any thicker aluminum and I hope not any thinner aswell... ofc maybe the grade matters aswell.

Im not sure how good it goes together.. I know black and red are great green or blue go very good with silver cases... Im sure you can pull off the red.. humm not sure how easy it will be.. I think red and black go very sexy together.... hummz I have a black n blue set-up :p keyboard elc... but mt new case (in avatar) would look awesome in red.

Good point, but he said he takes very good care of his cases earlier in the thread.
  24. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah... well even during the shipping process, it can dent, also I am careful too, but lets say a bottle hits the side well... you don't want a dent. This is your PC, you should value it alot... Protect it!

It comes down to:

Cooling performance and PRICE, and weakness

TO

HEAVY, cheaper, strong, worse cooling....
  25. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    Well actuly I remember when I first got my Tsunami Dream like 3,4 years ago for $70 because the guy was going out of business anyway I bought it right there and then and all I had with me was my bike and I carried it all the way to my house. The box took a cupple of beatings but the case was fine. The box's Thermaltake use can take a good beating I mean the Armor box was a little beat up when I got it. I also found out that Frozencpu is in NY (Just recently moved to NY from MI and when I was paking me stuff I looked at my frozen cpu box and founf out that came from NY) and I'm only like 70mi away from it, and since Im going there either way I can make sure that the case is not dameged. Also frozencpu's Silver Armor case is ceaper than newegg's and I also dont have to pay shipping.