1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case of Wood

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Martine, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Martine

Martine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am sick of my Spire case and bad airflow, so I am trying to build a new case and because I have some spare wood, I would make it out of wood. Is that a good idea? What am I suppose to watch out when building like this?
    I have searched through some threads/sites but.. yeah, no. Can someone please direct me to a thread/site for building case from scratch.
    Later on in the summer I will share this experiance of building. I already have some sketches but I will wait for your response.
    Thank you.
  2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    What, exactly, are you looking for?

If you're looking at a custom build from the ground up, check out the motherboard specified dimensions, specifications for HDD size, and power supply dimensions (most of which can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX).

Do you want some advice, from people who have done it?

This seems like a good way to do a build, as the documentation is only mildly lacking: http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/tech/case-mod.html.

Honestly, we need more than such a vague question. Give us something, and we might be able to help you. As it stands, this thread has no well defined point.
  3. Martine

Martine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about that. What I want is to know, if I can put motherboard/HDD ect. directly on wood. Would that cause any damage (sparks..) to components?

With size of components and airflow I have no problems all I need is material and some guidance to continue my desin. But I would like to see how others have done a case made of wood, if there were any problems I need to watch out.

I always forget people don't see what is in my head.:eek:
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    not coz wood wont flow any electric :D so its save
    but better put some spacer below that, not much about 2-3mm you can use hard paper or plastic, so the heat from board could be released faster
    [​IMG]
    what about this

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  5. Martine

Martine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know wood doesn't conduct electricity;) but I once heard there may be some problems with moisture in wood:confused:
  6. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    There are a few wooden cases listed in the Project Logs section. You can look there for some ideas. If you have the time and the skills, you could go all "Nick Falzone" on it.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and Martine say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess you need to make sure the wood is completely dry and the place where you gonna put the case is important and give a good airflow or you can give it clear coat on it
    Martine says thanks.
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    If anything, wood will help control humidity if it's seasoned. And as long as you have good airflow, you won't have any problems. I recall seeing some great wood case builds, it's probably the easiest material to work with assuming you have the tools.

I want to make a case out of clay :laugh:
    Martine says thanks.
  9. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I think I have a better understanding now.

1) Wood is not a uniform material. Know that, while it does form easier it also deforms easier.
    2) Never mount anything directly to wood. Wood has the tendency to wick moisture, which is what you might have heard.
    3) Don't mount components directly to anything. There's a good reason that just about every single case uses standoffs.

That's all I can offer. Everything else is up to your imagination.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt and Martine say thanks.
  10. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    As long as you follow a generic case design, the build should go over pretty well. However, if it's a computer that you will move around a lot, it's probably not a good idea, as the case alone could easily exceed 40 pounds.

Quarter inch plywood would probably do it (and maybe half inch for the major supports). It will be a huge time investment to get everything sized properly, but once it's finished, there will be nothing quite like having a unique computer case.

As far as moisture goes, what might help is spray painting some layers of gloss or another coating that repels water.

If you go ahead with the project, please post pictures!
    Martine says thanks.
  11. Martine

Martine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is the start of project S.C.A.R.