1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Catalyst 13.2b due next week; TechReport tests it out

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by The Mac, Jan 17, 2013.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yessa Massa I'z out!
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Meh. I just find it funny that they implement a fix that was known to fix the problem(Borderlands2), and then you are like "OH WOW!". :p

That's incompetence in perfect example. That fix has been known since September. It took them almost 4 full months...that's not really that fast.

I thought that was the whole point of the CAP system in the first place, getting new fixes without driver re-installs. Of course, it's not gonna fix ALL problems...which is a bit unfortunate.

Anyway, yes, it's progress, and yes, that is good, but pretending like they've overcome a great hurdle...that's funny. I'm not mad at all...I'm too busy laughing.:p

Those are the important parts. :p
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    I certainly dont have the programming skills to do so, do you?

They just found the FIX right before the holidays.

CAPs cant fix things that dont have an interface to the drivers. The drivers will need to be written to take advantage of whatever is in the CAPs.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps. And if I did know how to fix it, I'd expect to be paid for my time.

I know, but marketing portrays that scenario a bit differently. I mean, it's cool and all, but it's very late in my books.
  5. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    well, they did just can a bunch of people, apply for a job

lol
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

I prefer working construction, I make more money.

Yeah, that's the bad part.:p
  7. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    well, the good part is they got a working driver out within 2 weeks of finding the fix...

Technically , according to an AMD rep, they were inhouse testing the fix before the holdidays..
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    what? I don't see a driver to download...so there is no fix out yet. limited release to a specific reviewer is great, but that driver isn't public yet. Again, failing to capitalize on those fixes for end users. They 've truly done nothing...just have said that they did. :p
  9. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    sounds like your just looking for any excuse to criticize...

seems like a perfectly reasonable time frame to me...
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    There are other persistent issues, which, until they are vetted by hardware OEMs, I refuse to mention in public.

So yes, I am highly critical. Mainly about all the talk..but no action. AMD has a history of making grand claims, but failing to deliver. They have lost the hearts of enthusiasts across the globe for many reasons, and failing to deliver is only going to make that worse.

I am critical..because I really wish they were more of a success.

Do please keep in mind I used to proudly declare myself as AMD's #1 fanboy. I hate Nvidia, but I want my systems to work right, too. That's a bitter pill to swallow.
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well I can't really argue with any of that, Dave. Love love LOVE my 7950 so far after another recent (and positive) foray to the green side but only had it a few weeks.

Also, erocker-as-Fez made my day. (actually I think it's technically "Fes" as an acronym for Foreign Exchange Student but no one woulda known who/what the hell I was talking about)
  12. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    i agree as well, but you cant change the past

The 3d clock bug drove me crazy for months. I play Sins of a solar empire, and its not very demanding, but needs more than 2d clocks. The 3d clocks would waffle back and forth all the time and hose my frame rates. It took them 3 months to fix it. But they did fix it eventually.

they are fixing things, thats positive.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    cadaveca says thanks.
  13. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Oh, right. No just MSI AB and also some games that have in-game frametime measurement on their own. I'll give FRAFS a try in the weekend when I have time, out of curiosity.
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    That sounds like a story of a fanboy coming to terms...

I really like my 7970. Best card I have had. Overclocks like a champ. The real reason I got the 7970 though was because of its compute performance. Before either company released the actual product I was quite set on a 680. I do plan on keeping my 7970 for some time too so any improvements they make are highly welcomed.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what's happinig but the 13.2BETA's shot my 5870 temps thru the roof ?????
    hope its only beta issue
  16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Those beta's are unofficial and weren't made for anything before 7 series. Get rid of them.
  17. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    Well crap !:banghead: What's the latest "good" set that is for 5870 single GPU? seems in the 13.2beta thread it's "some form" of improvement for multi-GPU[5870's specfic]