1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Catalyst drivers are "FAIL"? Please elaborate!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Wrigleyvillain, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    One driver had an issue with the fan, I didn't say they were totally bug free, just more bug free than ATi's drivers tend to be.

I don't see why the number of drivers the GTX460 has had since July has anything to do with it. When the drivers are good, it doesn't really matter. Image quality in games is the same between the two, as I've already said. I don't know what your issue with Blu-Ray is, but Blu-Ray looks amazing on my GTX470 and GTX460s, no pixelation at all. I'd suggest you check your settings or check the software you are using, because it likely ain't a driver issue.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. mad1394

mad1394 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm actually very surprised that happend, don't all cards throttle before dieing from heat damage?
    But yea, I guess it happend to some peeps cuz I was reading the nvidia forums at the time and a lot of people were complaining...:banghead:
  3. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have owned ATI and nVidia cards, my last 3 have been ATI cards (4850/4870/5770) before that it was a few nVidia cards,
    and i have to say the 4000 series ran hot but i really almost never had any problems with the drivers, my cousin (who lives in the same
    house and has his comp next to mine) has always had nVidia cards, the nVidia equivalent in price to the cards i had, and didnt perform
    as well, or just a tad bit weaker in some cases.

The only time i had a problem with ATI drivers was for the 5770 when i put it in crossfire, right when it came out, but after a month everything
    was all good. And usually performed better then i anticipated.
    Wrigleyvillain and Radical_Edward say thanks.
  4. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dunno what happened to my GTX 460 but i have HD 5670 and its just work no other setting required the image quality are great, and after that I'm sold my GTX 460 and went to HD 6870 instead (can't wait for HD 6970 :p)
    SpeedsticK says thanks.
  5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Amazing thread in the green camps side about GPU use and drivers. Not that there is a issue with anything green mind you, you are paying for that "experaiance", and it is to be relished.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    my issue with ati isnt only with drivers but with their power saving features as well. they tend to cause driver failures and or 3d clock problems one way or the other. did it with the hd4XXX cards and now with the hd5XXX cards to. my main thing with their drivers is they release, then patch 20 times, and usually when thy finally fix something it breaks something else or is with the sacrifice of something else. that said i am giving ati another try after being an only ati guy for a long time, switching to nvidia, and now trying ati again. nvidia drivers have their fair share of problems though to, from driver crashes to tother things like overheating cards etc.
  7. LaDigital

LaDigital New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    idk.. I got very uneven frame rates, the whole time I owned my 5850. My 8800 and my new 680 run smooth as silk.. I use to get little jumps a lot with ati.. I don't get that with nvidia. I like nvidia more now because of that.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I've ran AMD for YEARS and never really had an issue until lately. However the issue I had made me switch to Nvidia and I'm not the only one. AMD has in essence broke their OpenGL support in their consumer cards. People who need OpenGL to work smoothly (Anyone who uses Adobe) cannot rely on AMD cards at this point. If you look at the Adobe forums its all over the place. Mudbox and a few other non-Adobe CGI programs are having major issues also from what I understand. Sorry but the AMD driver phobia IMO just became a reality.

You can call me a "fanboy" all you like but I ran AMD/ATI for 10 years almost exclusively. I went Intel/Nvidia here in the past few months and Ill never look back until AMD gets their shit together.
    phanbuey says thanks.
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I agree TMM, I must use older drivers if I want to work with almost any of the Adobe suite tools, 3Dstudio or Blender, the OpenGL support is totally broken.

Gaming wise it's fine though, nothing to complain about it.
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Meh...

I upgraded to the 12.4 and have had zero problems but I'm on a 7 series card and single gpu. I think AMD are focusing in 7 series improvements to the detriment of the other series cards?

Also, if the 670's fall below £300 I will buy two and sli them. I won't go crossfire as I've seen too many unsupported or broken game results from reviews.
  12. LaDigital

LaDigital New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. LaDigital

LaDigital New Member

Thanks Received:
    haahahah I feel the same as you do. I had Nvidia card [Asus GTX580] for a test last month and I loved it!! I had 0 problems and I have done lots of small tests to it :)
  14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    No, OpenGL has been broken way before 7k series was announced.
  15. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Ati lacked OpenGL support back in the days of the Ati Rage 3D... Every ten years I try an Ati one night or week: it is for masochists.
  16. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I'm still running my 5850s on 12.1's. Haven't bothered to update since. :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    the driver does allow for profiles, they have to be set manually - do they save 3d settings?
  18. chix_AHOY

Thanks Received:
    I have a question about amd chipset driver, if I updated my graphics driver do I also have to update my chipset driver to the same version?
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's probably best that you do, yes. Not necessary though.
    chix_AHOY says thanks.