1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CD Drive disappeared from XP os. (sp.2)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CUSACKOTG, Nov 26, 2006.

1. CUSACKOTG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all

My CD Drive has disappeared from my XP os. (sp 2.) I installed a sound card and then my drive just vanished (DVD LG.. can't remember specs) in device manager comes up with a yellow qu. mark- tried installiing driver again but no luck ......

I have a feeling i deleted something after a few beers one night.

when i unhooked the drive and unplugged the IDE cable and changed the power jack it pops up as new hardware with the name of the drive (pop up bubble in right of screen) but then
    doesn't pop up as installed in explorer or My Com.

I have a regedit theory which i tried with no luck- here it is:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
    Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]
    Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.
    Exit Registry and Reboot"

this didn't seem to work the first time - will try it again- anyone with any suggestions thanks in advance-

cusackotg

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    you have to delete the whole value according to microsoft,delete the value upper filters and the lower filter then uninstall the drive and reboot

3. CUSACKOTG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Athlon:

having problems finding the 'lower filter' value- fnd upper in registry.....

cusackotg

4. g12rxz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had this problem with my new rig... something happened and my sound card drivers didnt install correctly, rebooted, and bam, dvd drive was gone (samsung dvd/cd burner). i deleted teh uper and lower filters, and went through 2 days of googling and reading through forums until i just wiped and reinstalled windows.... was the only cure for me... luckily it was a fresh build at that moment so i lost nothing... but yeah... dont know why this happens. hope you get it fixed!

5. CUSACKOTG New Member

Thanks Received:
    g12;

YEAH - thats what i may have to do- considered it first off but i can't get any cd drive to work- i was going to reinstall 0r do a repair via cd/ dvd but that's not happening without a drive.... will have to do the new install via another HDD or removable device if i dont have any luck

thnks for your comments

cusacktg

6. CUSACKOTG New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks all-

athlon- your advice worked- all good now.

I'm sick of my ABIT motherboard (AN8 SLI) - IT just chucks a fit everytime i install new hardware- mobo is 6 months old and had no luck with new sound cards and tv capture cards....funny stuff happens

cheers again all

cusackotg