1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CD/DVD drive does not read any disks, but will allow boot from disk.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Marce, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Marce New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently built a computer with my friend and everything has been fine until about 3 or 4 days ago when the CD/DVD drive stopped working properly.
    The symptoms are that it will not read any disks regardless of their type i.e. program, video or audio.
    However, the drive is definately receiving power and the Sata cable is connected because I have no trouble booting from the Windows 7 OS disk, as a test.

The drive is also not recognised in 'My Computer' and the properties info gives me the following message, 'Impossible to load peripheral driver for this hardware. Driver could be damaged or missing (Code 39)' (translated from the Italian).

For your info the drive model is an LG GH24NS50.

Thanks.

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    looks like I saw another firmware for that drive, have you tried replacing it?

3. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Definately windows/software issue.
    Installed nero/imgburn/poweriso recently? Someone I know had a problem when installing multiple burning programs (STPI ASPI conflict).
    Something as simple as CCleaner might help.

Oh, and welcome to TPU :)

4. Marce New Member

Thanks Received:
    sneekypeet,
    i've tried searching different alternative drivers. Do you have a link to it? thanks

scaminatrix,
    the only thing i've installed is Magicdisk but this was installed well before the problem occured.

5. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless the optics needs a good cleaning. I suggest that you replace the drive. They are fairly cheap now a days anyway.

6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    does the drive keep on reading? (the lamp keep on blinking) if blinking could be the optical lens is dirty or got err on that, btw how long have you been using it?
    Can it eject from my computer, if yes try to clean the lens, if not its gonna be err on hardware
    Try to release it for a while then place on the system again, if it aint work try to open the drive and clean it manually.
    If it aint help too may be you need a new one

7. Marce New Member

Thanks Received:
    If there is a specific problem or dirt then how could it read the Windows disk each and every time if I do a boot from disk?

8. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i make a correction: have you tried to copy a file from drive to hdd? Does it read on hdd, what about other type of file? Can it read? If yes i guess theres an apps that block the system to read it. Check your antivirus and make your cd drive as exception then try again

9. Marce New Member

Thanks Received:
    The CD/DVD drive does not function at all for any other media (program, video or audio). It only functions when I do a boot from disk with the Windows 7 disk.

10. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me. Sounds like Windows being a jerk :).

You might want to give this a try:
    http://www.pchell.com/hardware/cd_drive_error_code_39.shtml
    But please backup the keys before you delete them!!

Another thing you can try is to boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver. When you reboot Windows will reinstall the driver and hopefully fix the stupid error.

Marce says thanks.
  11. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does the drive in question show up in the Device Manager?.....If so go into Device manager.....uninstall the Drive there...reboot and windows will reload the driver...could be that easy.....I've seen it before.

Hope it helps. :)

12. Marce New Member

Thanks Received:
    streetfighter 2

Thank you very much! It worked and problem is been fixed. Cheers

streetfighter 2 says thanks.