1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CeBIT 2009: Pretec SDXC Pops Up

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    We all remember the move from SD cards to SDHC. These offer more space in the same physical package, but are not backwards compatible. Now that SDHC is reaching is maximum capacity, a new format has been announced back in January, called SDXC. It will support up to 2 TB capacity, while keeping the same form factor. Walking the show floor, we found Pretec quietly displaying a 32 GB card at their booth. Remember, while older cards work in SDXC card readers and devices, you will need a new reader or device to use SDXC cards. Déjà-vu anyone?

Source: TechPowerUp
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  2. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    2TB! wow!
  3. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    *sigh*

Whilst I AM glad these things are moving along - and it inevitably will mean larger , cheaper Flash Drives, I am somewhat disappointed that we have to KEEP doing the "Oh deer everything incompatible all over again" dance.

I am curious to see if this new SDXC protocol includes improved read/write rates, because putting 2Tb on a card at 8mb/second could be painfull.

"Déjà-vu anyone?"

- With milk and one sugar please :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    my HC cards worked in older non-HC readers?
  5. Aevum New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, the SDXC format is just another patchup, adds support for extra addressing and exFAT, supposobly some older devices can be upgraded from SDHC to SDXC with a firmware upgrade, my Cowon D2 was originaly SD only and now carries a 32gb SDHC,