1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change Device ID on ATI Card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by The_NME, Sep 18, 2006.

1. The_NME New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello. I'm working on a small project to make a TV work with my system. I'm on to a method that looks promising. However, to proceed I need to change the device ID of my x300. I've used atiflash to change the subsys ID (the -mi switch) and RaBiT. RaBiT let me change the ID a little (from 5B60 to 5B61) but that didnt change a thing.

I suppose that I ideally want Windows to wonder what the heck the card is. I dont want it to know that its a x300. I know the device IDs from the driver installation files which is why I changed it to 5B61.

Is there any software out there to change the device ID?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    why would you want windows not to recognize it?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. The_NME New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just using that as an extreme really. I dont want Windows to know its a x300 really. Like when you first install Windows and it knows its a display adapter but doesnt know which one. I need to be able to feed it a custom driver.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you change the id the driver wont know what card it is either. just leave it be and install the custom driver.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. The_NME New Member

Thanks Received:
    The driver I have uses a custom ID. I need to set that ID on the card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. ARTOSOFT New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about use Control Panel remove hardware? When you restart PC, it will ask for new driver, just point it to your custom driver.

Regards,
    Arto.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. The_NME New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats the problem. The ATI drivers will jump in and say "Oh look a x300 to install!" This is a second video card (primary is a x1800XL) so I cant just remove the drivers, hence the need for something different.

I would think that flashrom or atiflash would have some switch to let me do this, but perhaps not. RaBiT will let me change it, but only a very slight amount. If I try to type in 9999 for the device ID, it will snap back to 5B60.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can write whatever Device ID you want in RaBit but when you try to flash it you can't because on AGP cards only the last 2 digits from the device ID can be changed (the first two are set on the hardware level. On PCI-E cards just the first digit is "solid".

10 Year Member at TPU