1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by stinger608, Jan 27, 2011.

1. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I just did this with my sandybridge upgrade. All I had to do was go into msconfig and uncheck everything from startup, reboot twice, and that was it.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it is quite possible. i've done it dozens of times.

I dont really recommend it however, better to have a fresh install of windows so you dont get all sorts of leftover junk (old drivers etc)

3. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I agree, however what I will try to do first I guess is restore the image to the single 1tb drive, and run driver sweeper to eliminate the current drivers. Will probably run CCleaner and JV Power tools after rebooting.

Thanks a ton to everyone that has made some great comments on this:rockout::rockout::respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well driver sweeper and its kind dont clear out all the leftovers, its not going to clear out leftover network drivers, or SATA drivers or anything like that.

It works, but it adds that bit of extra bloat - meaning you'll have to format sooner anyway, to make it all fresh n shiny.

5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have a copy of windows 7 on a 160GB hard drive that i have swapped from atleast 5 diffrent systems and not once had to reinstall.

It went from: 775>785G>P55>GF6100>740G>Whats next? LOL

Still running strong with no driver errors.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. lnd2288

lnd2288 New Member

Thanks Received:
    good morning-i had done it in the past but my pc wasnt stable. i would get random freeze ups. i was too cheap at da moment did not want to purchase a new O.S. lol at the end i just went along and bought for my own sake.

7. Formula350

Formula350 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I admit, I didn't read eeeevery post before replying... BUT Saritayadav, had you read at least 1/2 of the first page, you would have seen it is VERY possible, and very easy! (as Mussels said) ;)

stinger608 says thanks.
  8. Dave65

Dave65

Thanks Received:
    It is very doable but id never do it..I want a fresh install because if something creeps up down the road you will always wonder if that is the cause.

stinger608 says thanks.
  9. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Great point Dave, and that is what I am trying to explain to this fellow. However, he really does not want to reformat, and have to install a bunch of applications, programs, games, etc...

The good thing is, he is backing all of his pictures, user info, and other important things up just in case.............Hmm, makes me think it should be reformatted anyhow:laugh::p

10. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Well for tonight, I was able to change the drive from his Raid to the single drive. I ran an image and then changed drives and Bios settings and then restored the image on the single drive.......So far so good. Tomorrow I am changing the motherboard.........Wish me luck guys LOLOLOL

11. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    He is right here, Windows 7 does a fantastic job of dealing with that and it's about time!

Also a good point, have a backup or be comfortable doing it.
    I am yet to have an issue doing it, even with a raid *as long as it was Intel to Intel* with windows 7.

stinger608 says thanks.
  12. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have done this a few times most recently with my sandy bridge upgrade and have never had any problems with it, just uninstall the basic gpu and chipset drivers first, and you don't even have to do that.

I also installed a fresh copy on another partition just to have for a backup and the performance was exactly the same, so I really don't believe it when people say you need to do a fresh install to get more performance out of your new hardware.

stinger608 says thanks.
  13. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I checked his system out before making the image install. Of course I just changed the hard drive this evening, but Windows 7 did install some drivers and prompted me to restart, which I did, and after that I didn't see anything odd or a performance hit. Tomorrow I will change the motherboard. Before I do, I think I will go in and do a complete driver uninstall using Driver Sweeper and see what happens.

14. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    whoops, forgot to update this thread LOL.

Booted into safe mode, did a "driversweeper" and then ran CCleaner and JVPowertools to rid the OS of any and all drivers. Shut the system down, installed the new motherboard, chip, and ram.
    Fired up the system, and installed all new drivers. Not one single problem with the OS at all. Everything ran just fine. Customer was tickled shitless that we didn't have to do a format and reinstall of the operating system.

Thanks to everyone that responded and gave me awesome ideas for getting this job finished!!!