1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change sensor reading interval

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by _Vetal_, May 20, 2013.

1. _Vetal_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello.

How can I change sensor reading interval from 1 second to another period(for example 5 second,1 minute, 30 minutes). With default value log file growing up very fast.

Thanks!

Naki says thanks.
  2. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    You can't change the update interval with GPU-Z as it is. You can, however, compress the file to around one fifth of its normal size with Windows' built in compression.

How big is your file getting? Should you be considering deleting it every so often or archiving it?

3. _Vetal_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to write a little tool that monitor some sensor parameters 24/7 and make some job. In this tool I want to use a log of GPU-Z(use direct ATI GPU API is so hard, read a file a lot easier :) ). Make built in Windows compression of partition is bad idea and for periodically archiving need to close GPU-Z(for close log file) and open again...seems a lot of unnecessary movements. More simple will be write in log file not often. I saw another tools when I can set a write interval but it have a hard log file format with huge of unnecessary and nondisconnectable information.

4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is not supported at this time. How big your HDD that you are worried about a few megs of log file?

5. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    You can compress just a single file. You don't have to do the whole drive/partition. You could make a simple archival batch file with taskkill and robocopy coupled with Task Scheduler.

6. _Vetal_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 3Gb ram disc for temp data and another temporary information. I try don't disturb a physical SSD's/HDD's with temporary information.

7. _Vetal_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    More easier will be just write in file one record in 1, 15, 30 minutes and as result log file will be 60, 900, 1800 times smaller without additional batch files :)

Anyway, thanks all for this info!

8. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Chiming in before I disassemble this computer. I have had GPU-Z logging for a little less than 12 hours. The file size is 1.96MB compressed versus 10.4MB uncompressed. You only have to set compression on it once. All subsequent entries are compressed with it. There's effectively no performance issues using this type of compression on a log file. You certainly wouldn't notice any ill effects if you have it on a ramdisk.

9. Naki

Thanks Received:
    What if the RAM disk is FAT32? :D Compression only on NTFS, remember.

10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you don't know how to use computers properly, you deserve to suffer

Maban says thanks.
  11. Naki

Thanks Received:
    Nope. A RAM disk's speed is much better formatted in FAT32 than NTFS, and the difference in speed is not at all small (FAT32 is much faster). Note that the main OS drive can still be NTFS.

The only reason to use NTFS on a RAM disk is if you have a larger RAM disk and want to use files larger than 4 GBs. But if the RAM disk is <=4 GB, or you don't need >4 GB files, then NTFS is of no use.
    With the free RAM disk software I use, you need to pay for a RAM disk larger than 4 GB, but get up to 4 GBs for free.

EDIT (June 5th): The RAM disk software I use is this one:
    AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk
    http://www.radeonmemory.com/software_4.0.php (free for up to 4 GB RAM disk/6 GB if using AMD RAM, paid version adds larger RAM disk size+more functions - has two paid versions, one up to 32 GB and one up to 64 GB)
    but it is in fact based on this:
    http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk
    (has just one more expensive paid version, no separation 32 GB/64 GB)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. Naki

Thanks Received:
    QUESTION: Where are those log files anyway?
    I have GPU-Z (version 0.7.1) set to create them, but can't seem to find them - where are they, in which folder? What is/are the file name(s)?

Using Windows 7 64-bit, Ultimate, SP1 + all updates installed. Windows UAC is on, and GPU-Z running with Admin rights.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013