1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change shell on MAC OS X

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Tmonkey, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Tmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see that the MAC I'm working on is running the bash shell when I open a terminal window. I have 2 questions regarding this -

1. Can I change the shell my terminals spawned under MAC OS X run in from bash to ksh?
    2. If yes, how do I change my shell from ksh to bash?

MTIA (Many Thanks in Advance)

The Test Monkey
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Um Google? I found a post about it on Mac OS X hints but it's incredibly old and probably doesnt apply to your version of OS X.
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    well if you havnt already checked google, my guess is that you need to execute chsh and then tell it ksh. of course you need to install ksh and make sure you tell the program which dir to install it to.
  4. Tmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool,

Thanks
  5. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Curious.

Maybe I don't understand the question but don't you just type "bash", or "ksh", or "tcsh", etc. at the prompt and it'll change your shell?
  6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    in linux, yes. i am not sure about osx. it probably is fairly similiar if it is no the same. of course, you do have to have the shells installed first.
  7. Tmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure, it has bee a while since I have worked with UNIX or Linux and I am brand new to BSD. It has been my experience in the past that specifying and configuring the shell allows you to customize your environment. I prefer ksh because I like vi and the ksh allows you to use vi commands on the command line. I also like the vi file navigation for finding previous commands from the history file.

I'm curious about how to set up my terminal so that when I start it I get my "customized" environment without having to configure it each time.
  8. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got OS X 10.5.5 running in a-- Err... *Genuine* mac (strictly for testing purposes). I have no problem switching between bash, tcsh, and ksh just by typing them in on the commandline.

You can open terminal then go to Preferences and edit the startup options.

If you're feeling frisky I'm betting there is something like a ".terminalrc" that you can configure till you die of over-customization.