1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Changing boot hdd

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gygabite, Jan 2, 2006.

1. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all!
    My OS (Winxp home) is installed on an old, loud seagate pata(ide) hdd.
    It vibrates very loud when booting and when the harddisk is in use.
    I have also a Maxtor S-ATA Harddisk which isn't as loud as the seagate's one and has a bit more RPMs.
    My question:
    How can i get my OS on the Sata-hdd without reinstalling windows?
  2. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maxtor made a utility called "maxblast" for this exact purpose: it copies one hard drive to another and it's for when you buy new hard drives. The problem is I don't think it works with NTFS and if you have XP then you are probably running NTFS.

So if that's the case I would look for Norton Ghost, I haven't used it but it's supposed to make hard disk images so you could just make an image of your maxtor on your seagate and then unplug the maxtor.

One thing though the master boot record may need to be modified since you are changing from PATA to SATA the MBR will have to refer to a different hardware device, you -should- be able to use the winXP CD to boot and use the "recovery console" option and type FIXMBR and FIXBOOT at that point, but I'm not 100% sure on this one.
  3. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the MAXBLAST3 software with which you can copy every type of hdd but only the one with the OS you can't!Watta pity!
  4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Norton Ghost would be best. Partition Magic or any other partition manager should do fine as well.
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'd prefer partition magic because after copy it can resize the partition to fill up the empty space
  6. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks!
    Where to buy?
  7. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?