1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Changing clocks and voltage in a GPU.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Flash, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Hello.

I just want to know exactly how safe is to directly under-clock your GPU. As in from the normal 750-900 to set it to 375-450 (My minimum in Riva Tuner). Can you just set it straight away without any kind of possible problems, or is it better to do it in increments? I mean isn't this what power does? just under clocks the GPU?

I am also thinking of using the voltage guide for Riva Tuner and also set a lower voltage than the standard 1.26 for those clocks.

Bottom line is it doesn't actually "wear" the GPU when you set directly from 750/900 to 375/450 (or keep 900 so the screen won't flicker), and same for voltage, rather than having to set it in small increments.

Also for when I decide to start OC-ing my GPU. Once I discover the safe clocks that my GPU is stable, can I again just directly set those clocks every time, or it's better to set it in increments?
  2. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    The following will allow you a wider range in setting your GPU/MEM clocks in Rivatuner.

Click on the Power User tab. Go to the Rivatuner \ Overclocking \ Global section. Next to 'MinClockLimit' right click in the value area and select the grey light bulb (or just put in a zero). You should now be able to set GPU clocks from 75MHz to 1125MHz and MEM clocks from 90MHz to 1350MHz.

Once you find your minimum/maximum stable GPU/MEM clocks, it's perfectly safe to set them straight away from the default 750/900 or 500/900. If your BIOS had the values you want to use, the functionality would be exactly the same, but instead your are setting it manually. With the HD4870 this is mainly to avoid the constant screen flickering from differing 2D/3D memory clocks.
    Flash says thanks.
  3. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Great, thanks, I modified it and now have the minimum MHZ. :)
    I have posted again in the original thread I made, asking you if you may to give me some steps in having RT set-up like yours, a low clock for desktop, and a high clock for 3D.