1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cheap Motherboard

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by shovenose, Sep 23, 2013.

1. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
  2. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Around that price point, I'd take this ASRock... Made by Pegatron = superior quality.

shovenose says thanks.
  3. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    How to tell?

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    IMO, No RAID = No Server.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    First of all, my question is about which motherboard is better. Not abotu the definition of a server.

Second of all, if somebody wants a $30/mo dedicated server for minecraft hosting, casual testing of stuff, or a short term place to hold a lot of data, they won't care about RAID. If they want a real server for their business they're going to use enterprise hardware with RAID, etc...

6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    First of all, my statement was answering your question. I wouldn't put a board in any server that didn't support RAID. The H67 supports RAID the H61 doesn't. I was answering your question.

Second of all, if you care at all about your map and progress on the minecraft server then you'll want RAID, if you care at all about the data your putting on the server, even if it is short term, you'll want RAID. Really, no matter what task the server will be doing RAID or the option for RAID is a good idea.

7. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think what newtekie is saying is that it depends on what you want the servwer to do. If you have no need to data redundancy on this server, then raid doesn't matter (and if it did, you could add it in with a dedicated card). I think the general solution depends on the quality of the part. If it's got decent reviews, then it should be fine.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The foxconn he posted in the first post is cheaper and has RAID. That is the board I'd go with for a cheap server...actually I'd go AMD for a cheap server, but that's a different topic.

10. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    Interesting - I'll try hard not to spark another AMD vs Intel thread but why would you choose AMD? I'm legitimstely curious because I'm going mostly intel on these boxes. I have one AMD so far because I already happened to have it already.

11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    IMO you get more for your money with the AMD APU platform right now compared to a cheap Intel system. For $55 you get an MSI A75 board way better built then the Foxconn or Biostar crap you get with Intel at that price point. You get USB3.0, both in the back and an internal header, you generally don't find that with cheap Intel boards(maybe a couple ports in the back, but generally not an internal header). All the SATA ports are SATA 6Gbps while Intel boards usually only give you 2. Then the A8-5600K is only $99, and it makes a great server processor, and it is a pretty nice overclocker too. You set it to 4.4GHz and it easily outperforms Intel's i3s around the same price point.

12. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    +1 on what newtekie said. You can get that mobo + 6600K for $110 or with 6400K for $70(with $50 instant rebate on the board) @ MC. You can't better value than that.

FYI I run multiple VMs on my basic dual-core Athlon II X2 (ofcourse with onboard RAID).

RAID or NO RAID, backups are must!

And make sure you get a decent Bronze certified PSU to save some cents on power.

my 2 cents.

:toast:

13. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    I see where you're coming from in regards to the CPU. I might consider doing one AMD APU server for the heck of it. But the power usage of an i3-3220 is like half of that, which is important to me.

I'm starting with random PSUs I already have or got for cheap none of which are 80Plus certified - if those ever fail I'm going to be getting these:
    SeaSonic SS-300ES Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS ...
    How many watts per server do you think it would save?

14. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure how demanding Minecraft is, but they idle at more or less the same amount. Still, power is cheap in US, unless you load it 24/7 you will need to run the server for a few years before the 3220 pays for itself. If the server is going to see a lot of load I would point you towards the 3220 instead.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/amd-a10-5800k-a8-5600k-review-trinity-on-the-desktop-part-2/8

15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, if the server is sitting mostly idle the AMD actually uses less power. My whole system with the 5600K overclocked to 4.4GHz consumed about 50w idle from the wall.