1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Chimp Challenge poll will you F@H for TPU on May the 4th?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by 777, Mar 19, 2010.

?

Will you Fold for TPU in the 2010 Chimp Challange?

1. No thanks But I think all those that F@H do an Admirable job

25.8%
  2. I'm in I'm in where do I sign up!!! :D

53.2%
  3. I would but I cant be arsed to set it up :(

1.6%
  4. I will but dont know what or how to F@H on my PC

3.2%
  5. I already am for another Team :slap:

16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Really? I thought that last year it was like 10 days-2 weeks. But I could be wrong :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If they follow the same rules from the last time, it's the first team that accumulates 20 Mil wins.

If we get our team average right now (that is if everyone joins), it will take us <20 days to get there. Realistically I say 15 days since I will be adding 50% more to my current PPD.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Something to think about and I just realized this, the WCG contest will also kick off right about the same time. It will definitely have an affect to the members that are switching to F@H to up their production and help out. Will have to discuss this with BUCK, CP, PaulieG, and others.

4. 777 Guest

Well what ever works for what ever Im glad to see this thread has woken up at last..... and so many keen to participate :D Im sure we can work something out :pimp:

so at the rate Evga produces 20 million points :eek: :respect:I think it will last about 7 days

but if we get a few TPU dormant folders active we could potentially increase PPD by 100-200% for that week which would be good ha

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  5. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    When time comes around i may setup my i7 for a week or 2 for folding to help out more.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    So would I if the pass key issue is taken care of. I was under the impression that the pass key and the user (not IP, nor CPU, but Username) have to match. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    p_o_s_pc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. dhoshaw

dhoshaw

Thanks Received:
    I'll go all in.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm in, but we have to work out the timing with the WCG team. WE need their horsepower to make this a success. I'll PM Paulieg.

More than 25k PPD
  9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, 777 will create a new Username and Passkey, that everyone will have to change their clients over to, when the challenge begins.

EDIT: See post #7

10. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    :respect::respect: To all folders :rockout:

11. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Oliy. I read that post but it still leave me with some doubts. I'm in any way if I home at the time to change pass key and so on.

Edit / update: My RMA'd Giga UD7 is now on-route from Germany. 5 weeks without it, that was hard.

Edit 2: After I blow up my wifes Asus P45 mobo it has been replaced by a new Asus (5PQ SE2) and it refuse to run a slight OC CPU AND a GT250 at the same time. The old one (plain 5PQ) had no problems doing that., it even ran a 9800 GTX. Weak PSU or ? My X58 will run the GTX9800 along side SMP3 (no 64 bit OS) and it will good for +23000 PPD.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  12. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I'm not going to be the lone wolf!

777, I'm guessing that you'll submit the above username for a passkey and then inform us when you get it. I know that I'll have some other questions!

bogmali says thanks.
  13. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    What took you so long to join the party:D;)

Something to ponder also, submit that name now so we can start working on the preliminary requirements (10 1920 pointers) so when the challenge starts our -bigadv rigs are set to receive the credits right off the back. I can dedicate a rig to take care of the 10 1920 pointers so LMK:D

theonedub says thanks.
  14. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    ^ That's a great catch bog! Maybe other teams wont realize that and we can get a little head start :pimp:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I am in, but I will need help setup some new stuff I plan to own by then to up my production from rookie level.

16. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I was just thinking that maybe while you're off chasing chimps I could cut your lead in half!!!:rolleyes::respect: Na, that would be a lousy idea.:laugh:

I just wasn't that attentive for any chimp challenges.;):toast:

17. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    EVGA knows....they used 5 pages of posts to disscus pass key, possible sabotage usw.. they are prepaired ;)

18. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    I'm in.:toast:

19. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    im in hell I pay the electricity so that doesnt matter! i got i7-89 threads and 2X4890s if I can ever figure out how to fols on the the damn second card damnit! i cant figure it out wtf! also have a core 2 duo 2 threads and an 8800GTS 640mb ill fold on as weel. maybe set up some of my old dells i go layin around. also does f@h use all 8 threads?? cuz my cpu only says 34% usage at all times?? maybe someone here can help with my dual gpu problem got another 4890 on its way from sapphire rma i can throw in for that month as well

20. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Crap, I would love to come out ahead of EVGA and their Promo endorsed Folding Team :nutkick:

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    We could if everyone listed on the team were actually active. Hell maybe we should as Wiz to have a TPU holiday and make everyone on the Forum who wants to help, fold for that day at least.

22. 777 Guest

sorry ive not been around for a day..... pfttttt virgin broadband, yesterday afternoon my broadband went down, then was on then was off, so after numorous telephone calls and expense later, im told my Virgin fibre optic modems faulty, so after several hours of trying to fix it they decide to book an engineer for tomorrow,

So I get up this morning and my line is lit up,so there is BB there just have to reconfigure........ I call Virgin again to get some assistance as I need the MAC add on the modem activated,
    Yet again I get put through to 4 Wrong departments before I get put through to the right one, As I've resided to phoning them through my virgin moble to do it for free now as 0845 No.s seem to be costing loads.
    So I get put through to 4 Indian call centres talking to people whos english is terrible, They dont even really know what fibre optic BB is or how to resolve issues........ I think they still do most of there communication between 2 plastic cups and a piece of string......... :laugh:
    So I have now given up on Virgin spent 2 hours reconfiguring and hacking My Modem's MAC address re configured it and I have my BB back......perhaps I should look for a job with Virgin.....not :D

so I will catch up and post on this thread in a bit ;) ,

lost 20 hrs of gpu folding too :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  23. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    now that I've got my system rig back up and running, can someone recommend to me what the best configs for folding would be? I followed the basic guides but I feel like my ppd w/ a 5850 toxic was terrible. I can't measure it with exact science but I'd say 3-4k per day and my CPU was even worse :(

Any suggestions?

24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Any idea what an X4 955 @ 3.6ghz would do with SMP2? I can't be on 24/7, but if it's just a week or so I should be able to do close to 24/7

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If CPU folding only, you should get 6500+ ppd. I have PII's @ 3.1ghz and they produce 5900 ppd.

More than 25k PPD