1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ChkDsk?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Damian^, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded my computer with a new motherboard cooler and cpu (Xigmatek, E7200, BiostarTpower IP45). I used my HDD from my other build with all my games programs ect..even an OEM of vista, and somehow it did not ask to reinastall it just booted straight to windows.

Anyways i have been having some problems and about 1 BSOD already, and when i started up my rig it automatically did a ChkDsk and has been at 48% for about 30 minutes already.

Is there something wrong here, could it be because of my HDD with the OEM copy of vista64bit
  2. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like conflicts from your old motherboard to me.

if replacing a mainboard/cpu etc ,id "Always" format and reinstall windows otherwise things like this happen
  3. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i wanted to format/repair with my OEM copy but the option to upgrade was not allowed when i clicked on .exe from the vista CD, and the only other option was to reinstall but it said it would delete everything from my HDD.

I did not boot from the CD though, i just inserted the cd and clicked on the EXE on my computer, could that be why i did not see the repair/format option?
  4. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    to format you have to boot from the cd/dvd ,beefore installing a new baord etc you should always backup everythign you can from your c: drive ,and then boot from the cd and do a fresh install.
  5. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    how can i back it up no extra HDD's besides i already took out the mobo :(
    hm...
  6. pagalms

pagalms New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remove all your previous drivers with Driver Cleaner and then install new ones. Maybe this will help.
  7. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    as in your meant to do it before taking out the board..

if you cant get in to windows now ,your only options are booting from the windows disk and either trying a repair or a format and reinstall windows.