1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choices, choices, choices...;-)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Noci, May 21, 2012.

1. Noci

Noci New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to do a little upgrade on my son's rig.

My CPU (Phenom II x4 960T) and RAM (Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) are going to my son's rig, together with the MB MSI 870A-G46 I've laying around collecting dust.:nutkick:

So for my rig, I'll be buying a new CPU (will be a AMD FX-xxxx) and some new RAM.
    For the CPU I'm thinking of a 6200 or 8150, (no I won't wait untill the PD arrives:D) .

Because of the memory speed support of the CPU, I was thinking of getting 1866 MHz RAM, but also in the same price range there is 1600 MHz RAM with a lower latency.:

Kingston HyperX KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX for € 109,70 or Corsair CML16GX3M4X1600C7 for € 106,20. (Both are low profile sets, because of my cooler)

What will run better, Kingston @ 1866 MHz & CL9 or Corsair @ 1600MHz & CL7?
    my memory overclocking know-how and needs for it are limited, but it has to remain stable while playing with the BD.

AMD notes for the 1866 support (www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/processors/amdfx/Pages/amdfx-key-architectural-features.aspx):
    1866 supported with 1 DPC (DIMM per Channel) in single memory slot motherboard designs
    which leaves me puzzled :confused:

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Have you thought about Ivy bridge?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Noci

Noci New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, but my system is powerfull enough as it is (for real life computing), with the two HD6950's full speed over 2 x PCIe 2.0 @ x16. Also in this CrossFireX configuration on this motherboard there is plenty of space to put Arctic Accelero Xtreme plus II coolers (my next upgrade).

The worst workload it gets, is converting old VHS home video's of kids to digital files.

I'm a modest gamer, I die more in BF3 than I can fire shots :banghead:, but I love the eye-candy with all settings @ ultra:laugh:.

4. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I have all 3 of those chips and they all run great :toast:

The FX chips are real heavy lifters- they do great when loaded up and multitasking (I use all cores continuously crunching numbers on a distributed computing network)

If you aren't really going to put the chip to work I would say just pick up another 960T.

Otherwise I would pick the 8150 over the 6200- the 8150 has 2 extra cores and runs a little cooler than the 6200 (5-6C cooler on the same system in my case)

Noci says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Noci

Noci New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanx Northon,

I think I'll go for the 8150, they seem also to be great @ running VM's which I want to try out.
    For the RAM I think I'll go for the Corsair set which after doing some research, I believe will run a fraction faster because of the low CAS latency and it runs @ 1.5V (the Kingston set @ 1.65V)

6. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I agree. It's probably a little better to go with a lower latency and 1.5v vs 1.65v on the ram. I don't mess with ram too much, I kept the Corsair Vengeance ram in my main system at 1600Mhz w/9-9-9-24 timings and it's running fine for me... not going to mess with it for a small improvement.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD