1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choose between 2 psu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MohawkAngel, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at my setup on the side and I just added to it a PCI-E 1X TV tuner card.

I have a 500w cooler master extreme power the fan was noisy and theres no internal control to lower the rpm based on heat in the psu. So I change the 120mm fan for a Antec tri-cool blue led with 3 position swithc and plugged it on the molex connector outside the psu. But even at lower speed its still noisy.

Ive now got a hand on a HiPro 300w psu.
    +5v & +3.3v = 175watts max.
    +5v & +12v = 268w max
    Max output power 300w

It has a FPC control and less noisy so can you tell me if this psu could withstand my setup or i better stick with my noisy cooler master?

Thx

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not just replace the fan on the Cooler Master. I wouldn't bother with the 300w PSU, but it could most likely power your system.

3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    stick with the cooler master

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    +1 on changing the fan. Not a very difficult job (unless the wires are soldered, but afaik they don't do that any more).

5. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already paid for the 120mm fan and since i have a closed desk my computer is not easily accessible so i must always pull the desk to change the fan speed after opening the psu. on the other one i got a fan power controller. so it would solve my probelm and same time less noise and less powwer consumption.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A lower wattage PSU won't lower power consumption. The 500 watt will most likely because it is more efficient.

If you want a fan that has a single control knob on it, this one will work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00383RA1S/?tag=tec06d-20

This is a small fan controller that will also work: ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 Fan Controller

Really though, leave the tri cool on the medium setting and be done with it. Even on low it should serve it's purpose just fine.

7. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course it eill. The fan of pu itself will wind up at loer speed and sick less juice.