1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choosing a great mouse for gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by qubit, Feb 5, 2014.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I've never had a "gaming" mouse. The best I've had is the Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical, which is cheap and a very nice mouse that feels great in the hand. I use it all the time and seems to be pretty good for fast action gaming too.

One reason why I haven't bought a high spec gaming mouse yet, is that it's something that needs to be checked out in the shop ie fondled and used for a bit to know if it's going to feel good in the hand and play well in games, so an online purchase isn't great unless you know the exact model you're after.

That MS mouse I knew was good from work and is the first that I haven't found myself switching out after a short time, so I wonder how other gamers go about choosing their mouses?

2. red_stapler

red_stapler

Thanks Received:
    The wheelmouse optical is a pretty awesome mouse. I had one for 5-6 years before switching to a gaming mouse ( i wanted an extra button for push-to-talk). The main thing i was looking out for was a mouse that didn't have prediction / angle snapping.

OCN has a pretty good FAQ:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1321025/the-ultimate-gaming-mouse-guide-by-corrupteagle-h7u9i

I ended up picking out a late-production G400, and i've been really happy with it.

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    G5 @ work and G500 at home (play). Couldn't be happier. I didn't think I'd like the shape but quickly got used to it.

4. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    I am very also used to big mouses(rats)... My Deathadder still feels too small in my hand, despite being also on the large end.

Second thing that rarely is being declared as issue... is Linux Support... Razer has a tool made by some enthusiast, but it does not support sensitivity adjustment, hard coded values only, keep in mind that. ARM based programmable rats have advantages there...

5. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Been through many gaming mice... by far the best one I've owned now is my G700s. Wired/wireless operation, zero lag in wireless mode, replaceable cable (a big plus for me), nice size but not too big, lots of programmable buttons.... just goes on and on. Check one out!

remixedcat says thanks.
  6. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    My vote is G500!! However, if you like the normal mouse thing, but want gaming qualities, the G400s is a perfect in between thing. You'd be happy with either. But I really love my G500, because it's precise, rugged, has extra buttons, wide range of laser sensitivity, feels great, and you can adjust the weight and weight distribution.

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  7. kalstrand

Thanks Received:
    I know what you mean. I held out using a MS optical wheel mouse for a long time because there was no way to actually fondle the mouse to see if I liked it. You would think someone would come up with the idea of putting their mouses on display so someone can actually touch them before they buy. I would pay a little more at a Best Buy or such if I could actually test them out before I made my purchase. I finally broke down and got a G700 unseen when my MS mouse started double clicking. It took a while to get used to the shape but now that I have I like it.

remixedcat says thanks.
  8. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    After some consideration I bought Roccat Kone XTD. It's pretty sturdy, big enough to fit into my hand, has palm rest, great software, and COLOURED LEDS BIATCH!

I couldn't care less what some delusional hippies somewhere say about so called flawless sensors. Even if it was true, I'd take something I can physically use in a comfortable way over a damn brick that has hyper ultra plasma super accurate sensor 3000.

qubit says thanks.
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The Logitech G400 is the "go to" gaming mouse. You can't go wrong. I have the G500 which is a lazer mouse and the G400 is optical. Somepeople like the G400 just becouse of the optical "feels better". But lazer can be used on more types of surfaces. There is a lot of information out there about Optical vs Lazer mice

GreiverBlade and qubit say thanks.
  10. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    G500 otherwise G602 if youre not fussed about over 9000 dpi

11. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Zowie, Zowie, Zowie, and more Zowie. I can't recommend those enough. If you like customizable dpi settings then I wouldnt get them but if youre fine with 450/1150/2300 as your dpi settings (the switch is under themouse) then yes these mice are crazy awesome comfy as hell, with rubber coating, and optical sensors which are essentially going to be most accurate when playing fps games mostly. I tried it with league of legends and WoW and I didn't notice a difference between that and a laser. I notice acceleration when using a laser mouse(yes the setting was off but still) and in all honesty a lot of mice now a days come with 6k dpi settings and what not but I have never met anyone that uses that or even goes past 2000. If you dont care about the extra software that comes with razer mice and steelseries etc etc I cant recommend Zowie enough.

http://www.zowiegear.com/
    If you want just performance and you don't care about a light show from your mouse then Zowie

NOTE: differences between the EC1 and EC2 is the size. EC1 Is larger (kind of like a deathadder) EC2 is a just a bit smaller. I grabbed the FK and Im not going back to anything else.

12. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently replaced my old Razer Deathadder mouse with a Roccat Kone Pure and am very happy with it.
    My two cents...

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    here are mine: i replaced a Logitech G600 with a G602, never been happier with a wireless mouse

µReview (taken from my other post about the G602)
    "The G602 getting good review is a weak word ... i have one since a bit more than a month and still using the battery bundled with, i use it a lot but i use it on endurance mode (125hz poling) with 2600dpi (which is the max of that mouse but even on my G600 i never got above 2800dpi) the shape is not so odd as it seems ... it like a normal mouse to handle (favor a palm grip) with a thumbrest, the software is easy to handle and totally made of awesomeness (profile on the PC or in the mouse embedded memory)

for me its a pure beauty and 1440hrs in endu mode is under the truth of course i play mostly MMORPG so i guess for a FPS i should use the hungrier mode for reaction time and 500hz poling, but even in Crysis 3 or Firefall the endu mode suits me
    well
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

once the battery will wear out i will get some 2600mAh accu (i already have a quick charger for AA and AAA) 2 set and the argument of the G700/700s of the wired mode is blown out of the water"

that pics of 3 on 5 battery bar is after ~ 1month 2week 4days (not counting the hours, minutes and seconds ... i am lazy)
    g602.jpg
    Optical sensor 2500dpi but a quite good one, after that extended period of use, i can say i feel no input lag even in endurance mode, the totally non wired mode is a plus for me (if i take a wireless mouse i want it wireless, not a hybrid with a data cable) as i wrote, i still use the bundled AA alkaline battery that came with the mouse .

but if i had to say about a more common sense choice: G400/G500/500S are good value and proven to be great mouse over time (the Kone serie from Roccat is good, even if im not a fan of them, and i tested it :D )

end words : as long as you don't take a Razer you're fine,and believe me i had a pretty bunch of Razer peripheral... none passed the warranty year without 2 to 4 failures (average) on the opposite, every Logitech i had lasted till i stoped using them to get the next one in the line (G602 in this instance)

and i can't resist : trust me im sure you will like it instantly and be in a frenzy to buy that one!
    iron_man_auroza_mouse_news.jpg

Aquinus says thanks.
  14. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    G700. Best mouse evar.

15. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The Roccat Kone Pure looks like a sweet mouse

16. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i forgot that one in the list :D but i tend to forget it because : mostly a wired mouse with sometime a wireless moment (6-7hrs depending the DPI set, which is usefull only if using 30" high ppi or 4k screen) after many test (i had from 250(optical) to 8200(laser)) i found the hybrid Delta Zero 2500dpi at max to be the best compromise for battery durability and precision.

i thought of getting one or the G700/700S but the G602 had some argument

Pro:
    13 buttons VS 11 buttons, but 2 of them are in a hard to reach position so not totally a pro since 11 vs 11 if we take this in consideration

higher DPI and pol rate 8200/1000 VS 2500/500 but the difference on usage is hardly noticeable tho the DPI would be nice for someone else than me, i never reached above 2800dpi on my G600 (plus i use my 602 mostly on 125hz rarely 500hz)

Laser sensor VS Optical, still the Delta Zero sensor technology make that optical sensor pretty accurate and smooth (and its not a placebo since i did a comparison versus my G600 who has the same sensor of the G700)

Hyperscroll wheel VS normal scroll wheel, maybe the only real pro, but i got used quite fast to not have that, my G600 didn't had it either, but my M705 Marathon yes (a 3yrs average battery duration wireless laser mouse, i have one since ~5yrs and still the original battery, but i use it less than my G602)

Cons:
    6-7hrs wireless with my daily usage vs 1176hrs (and still over 50% battery remaining) with the same usage.

more confortable shape: but i have big hands and even with the length of the right/left click my finger hang a bit above the edge (with the mouse fully covered)

better material, understand: less prone to fingermark or stain spot, the sanded base feel great the rubber pad on the back give a bit more grip on it and the Click still look like it was just taken out of the box, my G600 had some darkened spot on the soft touch covering

and last, but its just me, no cable at all : the G700 can be wired when out of juice, me i just will be swapping between 2 set of 2600mAh accu with a table charger, it take the same time, once you get used to it, as plugging (seeking it 1st) the data cable of the G700

so no the G700 is not the best mouse, nor is the G602 : its all a matter of trying it in real,

@qubit the best i can say is : if you have the option to try them do it, same goes for keyboard.

rtwjunkie and qubit say thanks.
  17. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Stop it. Now.

MxPhenom 216 and remixedcat say thanks.
  18. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well my G602 is optical and at the same DPI my G600 was not more smooth or accurate.

but i agree with you he should stop it : there is no best mouse, wether it be optical or laser (even if the G602 should be nomminated mouse of the year 2014 for all the feat of strength she achieve... even versus the same brand G700/700S :roll: joking ;) or ... not but that's imho ;))

19. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    YES THERE IS THE BEST MOUSE!!!!!

IT'S THE LOGITECH G700!!!!!

followed by the G602.

20. ZetZet

ZetZet

Thanks Received:
    Mx518 fan here, currently using g400, good enough.

rtwjunkie and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  21. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    only in your opinion, no need for caps. now let's get over this.

(ps: thanks ... your blog reminded me that i needed to go over the IC diamond 24 thread to laugh a bit)

plus you can't say a mouse is the best mouse when she is designed to be wireless but is a wired mouse every 6-7hrs of use :roll:

22. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Love my Deathadder and loved the Mamba before that. I didn't keep the Mamba because I never used wireless and wanted some extra cash, but I loved the weight of it versus the Deathadder. Love the feel of this style mouse however.

Also have a Razer Black Widow Ultimate that I like, however I do get complaints about it being loud (I don't mind that being said). However, the downside is I also own a Logitech G930 headset, and apparently the Razer software and the Logitech software don't work too well together from my experience. Also, Razer software has always been shitty to me...but that is just me. Still the products themselves are greate IMO.

I did have a G7 for a while and while I liked it well enough, it ate through batteries like nothing. I believe the G5 is about the same just not wireless, so I suspect that would solve my issue but the G7 didn't feel as good to me as the Deathadder. I use one at home and also use one at work for general computing.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    manofthem says thanks.
  23. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Yes it does.

24. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C9R48A0/?tag=tec06d-20

This is been an amazing mouse, and it's at a great price too. Solid feel, so far has been very durable and has great responsiveness. Works great in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Ubuntu 13.10. Replaced my beloved G5 with this unit and couldn't be happier. For the price bracket it's in at 50% off I'd be hard pressed to find anything that beats it.

:toast:

manofthem and qubit say thanks.
  25. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    That mouse looks awfully tempting to try out especially at the price... if only the funds were more plentiful :(

Crunching for Team TPU