1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choosing a great mouse for gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by qubit, Feb 5, 2014.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Its beyond me why anyone is recommending a wireless mouse for gaming.

Octopuss and erocker say thanks.
  2. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I even addec

3. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Added your mouse.

Thanks for looking at my blog tho

4. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I love my wireless mouse. I hate having to deal with wires on my mouse, and the battery lasts a long time. I'm not a pro-gamer so it works perfectly for me, as well as a lot of others. That is why people recommend a wireless mouse.

GreiverBlade says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    G700 is both!!!!

6. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    As well as the Mamba. It's great because if I do forget to charge my mouse for a few days, i plug it in and it works perfectly while charging. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Mines data over cable is yours?

8. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Data? No sure what you mean....

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    It actually sends the mouse signal thru the cable when connected instead of the dongle.

Some are just charge and no data.

manofthem says thanks.
  10. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Oh lol, my bad :oops: yes, that's how it works. The usb cable normally plugs into the dongle. When the mouse dies, unplug form the dongle and plug into the Mamba, and it works just like normal, as well as charges it. It's great really, Iv'e had to do that a few times when I forgot to charge for a few days.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    MX-518 was the perfect mouse, but it lives on in the G400s. It's virtually the exact same mouse but with better optics!

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Very subjective topic.

I prefer a "traditional" shaped mouse. My favorite of all time was probably my Razer Copperhead, but it didn't last forever and they stopped making it. After that I really liked the Steelseries Sensei, but unfortunately it developed a double click issue and so did it's replacement.

I've now had this Steelseries RAW for about a year now and while it's basically a Sensei without the fancy LED's, it seems to use a stronger clicker switch. The side buttons might not be in the ideal place for some, but I never really use those anyways. If this thing lasts me another year, I will no doubt pick up another at some point.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  13. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Optical only makes a difference in FPS games that I've noticed. That acceleration is annoying. I am with erocker even though I don't like razer back when they had the sweet copperhead that was my go to mouse bought it 3 times all lasted 2-4 years great stuff!

14. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I've been using the Corsair M65 mouse and its awesome. Ditch a MX518 for it.

15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Corsair M30 here, does the job for me and not a arse reaming price.

16. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    maybe because they are at last a viable option now that logitech do the G700 and 602 (i don't count the Mamba or the R.A.T. 9 as viable but thats imho)

so i have a G602 but i can't game with it: it has been designed only for office work? right? ;)

very subjective indeed, also one of my 1st "gaming" mouse was a Razer Copperhead too :D (didn't last long too(or forever since i had it for nearly 2yrs... but that's shorter tha my M705 :D ) but at last the build quality was way better than what Razer make now)

G500/500S/G400/400S/Sensei RAW/Kone (XTD/Pure/+ depending how they feel in hand for the OP) and for wireless G700/602 (yes i maintain that a wireless mouse can be a gaming mouse and "gaming" is a really subjective word, you can game with a MS IE mouse 7.0 Optical...)

well i do game a lot (i mean i did some ESL CS regional/national tournament with a team in my youth ... *ROFL* but im not a pro gamer either) but i wanted a wirless mouse to have more freedom in my movement (and between charge/battery changes, thats why i didn't took a G700 or a Mamba, but for the Mamba i have also other reasons)

i noticed that 1440hrs stated by logitech is 2 month (60*24=1440) oh it passed from 3/5 to 2/5 bar today :D time to get some 2600mAh accu (should still have 1 or 2 week of use before it die :clap:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    rtwjunkie says thanks.
  17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Honestly i went through 2 copepr heads the first was if you remember the one i rebuilt via solder job. the second i wore down the plastic button pillar and i could no longer click. I searched far and wide and eventually landed on a roccat savu after playing with a bunch of mice at tiger direct. it feels great and i think its a fantastic replacement for my forever missed copper head....in tempest blue mind you.

18. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    +1 on subjective, which is why I can't buy with confidence online after reading a review, unlike with things such as graphics cards, CPUs, etc. Yes, I can rely on the fact I can return it, but it's hassle and the cost for postage especially is significant on a cheapish item.

Mice are not usually all that expensive, even the fancy ones, so I suggest buying another one or two more when you find one you like. That way, you won't have the problem of them being discontued like you did when they wear out. I have several of these MS mouses, for example. :)

19. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    as i thought! i think i will buy the stock of G602 that my nearest local retailer has... i just need to find 8990chf unless the price go down to match amazon pricing (top of it eh? a swiss company product is nearly 40$ costlier in switzerland :D )

No biggies, the next week i should be able to do it! wait a sec ... if i base myself on the duration of any of my logitech mouse i should not fear that they discontinue it .... i pretty much suspect that my G602 will be my dear and cherished mouse for near the time my M705 served me (and still serve me) as i wrote previously : 5yrs no failure no battery change :D

unless i feel the need of switching mouse, which is pretty much my only motivator to change a mouse (logitech/Mionix/Gigabyte) for the other brands it was : .break something out of warranty period or chain technical failure... and i mean Corsair(and specialy the Raptor serie ... )/Roccat/Steelserie/Mad Catz and special mention for Razer ... sad ... i liked each those mouse but double click syndrome, twin eye sensor momentum and frying, or just "everything but the sensor stopped working one day but i don't know why and the customer service either..."

so for now i limit myself for 3 brand and go for a "thanks but i have a wi...mouse" for the 4 other and "no way even if you pay me i won't touch it" for Razer and i went thru a lot of testing and experiences (bad or good) before deciding that.

@qubit i suspect by the size of the boobies on your avatar that you have big hands... so put those hands on mouses and make your own opinion, we can still recommend good brand/model, but the final decision is yours!

PS: i have a Atari serial 2 button ball mouse if you want :D ok ... not gaming but hey .... who game with a mouse... o_O ;)

qubit says thanks.
  20. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    At least Logitech doesn't make drastic discontinuations like Microsoft hardware does. MSHW they have killed the whole sidewinder line and it was great and lots of people liked it but instead they kill it and make EVEN MORE cheap ass wireless throwaway mice and windows 8 wedges that are painful after an hour's use.

21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've owned one G5, two G500s, and now I'm on a G602 and I feel like the G602 is the best out of all of them in my personal opinion. I had to recharge the batteries in it the first time this morning, so about a month and a half between charges. That isn't too shabby. As far as response is concerned, if it was the same shape as the G500, I couldn't have told you that it was a wireless mouse.

The only things that the G500 has that the G602 doesn't is adjustable weights and the scroll wheel lock. The G602 however makes the distinction between adjusting sensitivity and DPI as opposed to making them one in the same thing, which I like a lot. For example, you can flick the switch to set it to a higher DPI (which burns the batteries faster I might add,) but doesn't actually increase how quickly the cursor moves, where adjusting the sensitivity will.

22. Blín D'ñero

Blín D'ñero

Thanks Received:
  23. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    at last you are not recommending a generic plastic mouse with "gaming" written on it, a 1600dpi optical "high precision" sensor...

let's do a poll maybe? of who think Razer is a overhyped brand that had good product in the past, but now they are doing it totally wrong ... i had so many Razer mice and keyboard that i lost the count and none of them had a "failure free" life unlike my Mionix/Gigabyte/Logitech other.

Razer now: good marketing (and that's pretty much all), and nope paying more doesn't make the product better or failure proof, my Naga and Mamba where the mouse who were more in RMA than on my desk ... tho i can give you that ... the Imperator lasted a bit longer than other Razer on my desk (about 3 week and a half... instead of 2 and a half...) without a RMA therapy ... at last after giving them some chance, (more than enough i should say) my desk is almost "Razer Free", i still use a Destructor mouse pad and a Electra headset, the mouse pad is good but the headset will soon go to the Razer dedicated "drop and forget it" box

also i noticed a fun thing: with both at 2500dpi 1000hz poll rate for the G600 and 2500dpi 500hz poll rate (perf mode) for the G602 i feel no difference (if not the reaction time but it is pretty much minimal) between wired and wireless, in any usage. (well 1ms VS 2ms i should see a HUGE difference in reaction time, right?) at 125hz it is also hardly noticeable ...

Logitech really did a good "gaming" Wireless mouse

just in case dpi is sensitivity, poll rate is reaction time.

on my account i use 2500dpi and 125hz on all the game i play (endurance mode with the highest dpi setting) and i have for around 1 month: 2 bar left still not depleted and still using the stock alkaline battery bundled with it (kinda logical 1440hrs is one month duration as i wrote some post above) so i can say that's the poll rate who drain the battery, the DPI: not that much. still it make another satisfied customer with a G602, and the icing on the cake : find the wired/wireless difference harder to tell/distinguish.

for ref : 1 month and a half is not "not too shabby" but "totally awesome", no other "wireless gaming mouse" attain that duration ... the best one at max have a 1/4 of a day, well 6hrs is enough most of the time :D but for myself i prefer having the G602 and swap battery less often than putting each day my mouse on a cable (and reducing the charge cycle of the battery ahahahah no one think about that eh? the more you recharge your battery the less she will hold.)

word of the end: the days of "wired of course" when talking of a gaming mouse is a thing of the past... as for now some brand give good result with wireless, yes even Razer and the Mamba ... if we except the failure rate, the wireless performances of that one are good, and battery duration is a matter of liking (G700 VS G602 for example)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    remixedcat says thanks.
  24. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:

So you still happy with the 602? I have a G500 and was thinking of getting it. I really should be using a wireless mouse

25. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    The G700 goes 'PICK ME! PICK ME!"